Fox Brakes and Anti Seize..

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Anyone use Anti Seize or something else on each end of your front brake pads?? 99-04 two piston calipers is what I am working on...

• Sponsors (?)

I have been using a small amount of anti-seize on the ends of my brake pads and slide pins for years. I also put a small amount on the nubs for the brake shoes on the drum brakes.

Reactions: 1 users

I have literally put that on thousands of cars ( @90sickfox probably has too). It's what Carmax uses on ALL brake jobs and brake inspections (or at least it was from 2016-2020 when I worked there).

It works.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
I use synthetic brake caliper grease.

Anti-seize shouldn't be used anywhere where it will get wet. The anti-sieze itself contains bits of metals that when exposed to moisture can induce corrosion. Not saying this will happen every time, but the potential is there. There is a specific anti-seize designed for wet areas.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 5 users
I use synthetic brake caliper grease.

Anti-seize shouldn't be used anywhere where it will get wet. The anti-sieze itself contains bits of metals that when exposed to moisture can induce corrosion. Not saying this will happen every time, but the potential is there. There is a specific anti-seize designed for wet areas.
thank you..... I watched a few youtube videos where they used it ......
different topic, but we used to use an anti squeal liquid on the back of the pads, usually on the pad pushed by the pistons..... It actually had a picture of a pig on it and it was pink..... applied some, let it dry and no squeal..... Is this still used? or is the Brake caliper grease used for this area also??

different topic, but we used to use an anti squeal liquid on the back of the pads, usually on the pad pushed by the pistons..... It actually had a picture of a pig on it and it was pink..... applied some, let it dry and no squeal..... Is this still used? or is the Brake caliper grease used for this area also??
Use the grease there as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Short answer is yes, I do and have been for several decades now with no issues. I use the silver colored stuff sold at napa in a container with a screw on lid that has the brush attached. One can of that lasts me a long time. Good stuff.

Short answer is yes, I do and have been for several decades now with no issues. I use the silver colored stuff sold at napa in a container with a screw on lid that has the brush attached. One can of that lasts me a long time. Good stuff.
Thanks.... I did see where some newer stuff ( Copper colored) is now being made, wondered if it worked better? The old silver colored stuff NEVER comes off where you didn't want to apply it....

The silver antisieze will gum up caliper pins and cause the type with rubber seals to swell. I used that stuff when I first started working on cars ( guys swore by it 25 years ago ). I learned my lesson as soon as customers cars got old enough to need brakes again.

I use a very thin amount of caliper grease on the pistons, hardware, and back of pads. Some vehicles actually require the outside part of the caliper to be glued to the outer pad. There is a red spray called " stop squeak " for this.

Heavy amounts of grease can seap down to the pad contact area and contaminate the pads.

Been working on cars professionally for over 40 years. I have never used any grease on the pads or anywhere else. I will lube the caliper guide pins that go into the caliper bracket. But otherwise everything is clean and dry. I also never have any comebacks for brake squeak or noise.
Currently GM has Bulletins for replacing pads on several vehicles for brake noise, but that is a quality control problem on GM's side, not a install issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

I have literally put that on thousands of cars ( @90sickfox probably has too). It's what Carmax uses on ALL brake jobs and brake inspections (or at least it was from 2016-2020 when I worked there).

It works.
You may also like this then. It may be similar to what you posted, with both being a synthetic brake system grease.....but it is "ceramic-fortified" (their description), for higher temperature resistance. I've never had any problems with it.

Been working on cars professionally for over 40 years. I have never used any grease on the pads or anywhere else. I will lube the caliper guide pins that go into the caliper bracket. But otherwise everything is clean and dry. I also never have any comebacks for brake squeak or noise.
Currently GM has Bulletins for replacing pads on several vehicles for brake noise, but that is a quality control problem on GM's side, not a install issue.

You made me remember that there was a tsb for Cadillac ( ? ) with brembos that said to put antisieze on the edge of the pads that slide in the caliper. Copper antisieze to be exact. I think it affected some other cars too.

What does grease or any lubricant do? It collects dirt, dust and anything else that touches it's surface. What does that dirt, dust and what not do? It causes wear, and noise. Put it together clean and dry and chances are it will stay clean and dry. Al least it won't become a grimy mess.

I use the stuff you spray on like spray paint.

Kurt

What does grease or any lubricant do? It collects dirt, dust and anything else that touches it's surface. What does that dirt, dust and what not do? It causes wear, and noise. Put it together clean and dry and chances are it will stay clean and dry. Al least it won't become a grimy mess.

Spot on. I know several professional mechanics that stick to the way it was done from the factory. If they didn't squeal or corrode or bind from the factory, then why should you try and find a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

Kurt

• Agree
My 2 cents. Have used antiseeze on pins with the rubber tips and like @90's described have had isses with swelling creating seized pins in my GM cars. In the midwest where they use salt some thing has to be used as the silver or zinc cad wears off you will experience seizing. I have switched to a silcone high temp grease and keep it only internal. Antiseeze is for only bolt threads.
Scott

My question was not about any lube on the pins, it was directed more at where the end of each pad slides in the metal replaceble retainers on my 99-04 brake calipers.... As I said I watched a couple of videos on Youtube where it was being used....
We used to use the silver on Drums in a couple of spots where the brake shoes slid on the backing plate.....

I've always put a little grease on the ends of the pads where they seat into the guides. Very little. I've probably been lazy and used antiseize before too. I also antiseize the face of the caliper where the rim mounts so the wheel is easy to get off later.

Growing up on a dirt road and having a ag background. I have found antiseeze just attracts dirt and grit to moving parts creating premature wear. On the premium brake pad kits they give you a tube of grease and want lube those contact points where the edge of the pad contacts the bracket. Some how it has been my experience this has been less dirt attracting then antiseeze.

• Useful