Brass Dist. gear wear with H/V oil pump

70dvr

Jul 25, 2006
Brandon, Florida
Put an Edelbrock RPM cam in about 5000 miles ago. With a high volume oil pump. Have heard H/V oil pumps and tight engines do not go together. Found this as I was trying to find out where a couple degrees of timing had gone. Should I use the Ford Motorsports 1 piece pan gasket when I install my new Standard Volume oil pump. I've always had good luck with the 4 piece Felpro gasket and of course I'll order a new gear.
Thanks for your advice.
View attachment 377453

• Sponsors (?)

if your running a roller cam then run a steel gear. if a hyd cam then a cast gear will be what you want. in your pic you have a cast gear as D.Hearne has said.
it looks a little worn to me but (my eyes are 48 years old) so I would change it to match your new cam as I always change the dist gear when installing a new cam.
As for brass gears they were good in the past years but higher tech gears are now in cast and steel and good choice for a steet engine. If your still confused then----
Call Edelbrock as they have a great tech line and still made in the USA.:flag:

hey guys look a little closer, the gear is fine, but the pin is sheared. i am a bit surprised you didnt see it DH.

and yes i would go with the one piece gasket unless you are pulling the engine, and even then i would go with the one piece gasket. i would also get an oil pan stud kit from arp as it will make the gasket even easier.

I guess in the pic it does look like the pin is sheared, but it's ok. Thanks for pointing out that it is a cast gear. With what I've read here I've ordered a one piece gasket, standard flow pump and iron gear. Composite gear would be nice, but money is always an issue as I do hope to be able to afford to retire someday. Thanks all:hail2:

hey guys look a little closer, the gear is fine, but the pin is sheared. i am a bit surprised you didnt see it DH.

and yes i would go with the one piece gasket unless you are pulling the engine, and even then i would go with the one piece gasket. i would also get an oil pan stud kit from arp as it will make the gasket even easier.

Like I posted before, with better lighting, any problem would be easier to spot. I didn't pay attention to the pin, but now that you mention it, it does look to be missing. But then too, with a gear that's been changed twice, you can also have a blind hole like that, the new pin could be 90* away and out of the picture in a newer hole

BUY THE COMP POLYMER gear...........compatable with everything, and it lasts!

Period.

I've never seen or hear of one of these gears, do they fit MSD distributors ?

Like I posted before, with better lighting, any problem would be easier to spot. I didn't pay attention to the pin, but now that you mention it, it does look to be missing. But then too, with a gear that's been changed twice, you can also have a blind hole like that, the new pin could be 90* away and out of the picture in a newer hole

When I swaped my friend swap the gear on my other friends distributor he lined the holes up nuts on and drilled the new gear through with a drill press and put the pin through the shaft in the original location. Isn't that how everyone does it ??

I've never seen or hear of one of these gears, do they fit MSD distributors ?

When I swaped my friend swap the gear on my other friends distributor he lined the holes up nuts on and drilled the new gear through with a drill press and put the pin through the shaft in the original location. Isn't that how everyone does it ??

Ford says to drill a new hole 90* from the old one. That's what I did on one. If you lined up the holes for both the gear and distributor, why a new hole ? :shrug:

because new dist gears for ford distributors come undrilled for the locating hole. what ford would do is press the gear in place, then drill the hole for the locating pin. unfortunately mass production being what it is, the holes were never put in the same place each time.