Engine Broken balancer

dcurtis

10 Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Well was cruising along yesterday, turned my ac on and instantly my car went to vibrating pretty bad, I basically idled it home, about 2 miles. Got to looking and the balancer pulley looked crooked so I pulled the belt and instantly saw what I thought was a broken crankshaft as the balancer had a slight wiggle to it lol, pulled the bolts and turns out the balancer snapped where the key is installed? Any ideas on what could cause this or recommendations on a very good replacement? I’m hoping my 2 magnetic drain plugs and the oil filter caught most of the shavings? We’ll see when I drain the oil on that I guess
Anything else I should look at or do before I replace the balancer?
590C7C0C-0955-49E7-91B5-195C5A4BA5F5.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

The ford racing stock replacement is fine.
How long did you run the car with the balancer shaking?
The rubber comes out of the balancer and it goes way out of wack and tears itself to pieces.
I've never seen it happen like yours, but I still have to guess that's happened.
Sorry to say it, but pretty much everyone I know that lost a balancer, lost the engine soon after...

I'll be straight with you.
I'd be concerned if you drove it 20ft.
2 miles? I'd be getting a back up plan in order for either replacement or a rebuild.

Been there, done that, twice. First time drove 75 miles to a stopping point, got a jy balancer the next day, new one later. That one had the bolt break and I had to stop and get a short bolt to get home. That engine is still running with 95 k plus miles and a few passes. May be due for a refresh soon....

Sorry for the time delay, gotta make money? Anyways haven’t had time to work in it other than pulling off the broken balancer. Just bought a pb1060ss balancer that’s sfi 18.1 certified, gonna pull the water pump and timing cover then the timing set to install a new key way and front seal, then install the new stuff, gonna check the filter and oil really well and go from there, plan b if the shake from the failed balancer toasted my main or rod bearings is to go ahead and go 363 with a full rebuild , it’s fine either way

Sorry for the time delay, gotta make money? Anyways haven’t had time to work in it other than pulling off the broken balancer. Just bought a pb1060ss balancer that’s sfi 18.1 certified, gonna pull the water pump and timing cover then the timing set to install a new key way and front seal, then install the new stuff, gonna check the filter and oil really well and go from there, plan b if the shake from the failed balancer toasted my main or rod bearings is to go ahead and go 363 with a full rebuild , it’s fine either way

Plan b sounds like a good plan regardless.

Had to edit this, just saw that I’ve officially been on this site for 10 years!!! Seems like a good time to say thank you to any and all that have helped me in my progress and everyone else that keeps this site going .
Except when I feel and get used to the power of a 363 I’m gonna want more, I’ll never be done with this car lol, the 347 that’s currently in there rips, it’ll smoke the tires in all 3 gears no problem, but I’ve gotten used to it quite a while ago, it’ll give me a scare every now and then when it decides to hook real hard or break loose at 45-50