Built engine emissions considerations

foxbodybill89

Jan 19, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD
I have a curious question that I've never really seen much discussion on- I have not done an engine build for a car but am just starting to plan a 347 stroker for the near future. Those of you who have built engines from the ground up (all new or aftermarket parts) for a street-driven car, how much do you consider any of the original style EGR, smog, or EVAP systems or do you just rely on modern parts and computer control systems to keep emissions in check? Myself if I were building an engine I would throw all the old factory methods out the window and just try to use the best combination of new parts for efficiency and performance without any "unnecessary" systems. I am not in an emissions testing state BTW.

• Sponsors (?)

It really depends on the state. Some states or counties within states have little to no emissions testing, while others (California, for example) have very strict laws that also include a visual inspection. Eliminating your smog pump would be a non-starter in those states based on the visual inspection alone.

No longer need to pass the sniffer, but I kept cats inside my car as it’s one of the things they check for at inspection time. They don’t pop the hood, so I yanked all the stuff, but kept the EGR and charcoal canister functional.

Thanks guys, more specifically I mean if you started fresh with a completely empty engine bay and none of the original parts, what would you include in the new setup? Not what existing parts you would remove from a running car.

Again, it depends what state you are in and what your intentions are with the car. Personally, if I was in an emissions exempt state I would still have Cats, EGR, and Charcoal canister. I wouldn't bother with the smog pump, though.

I mean if you don't live in an emissions state, what's your goal? My car passes emissions with 2 cheapy Magnaflow catalytic converters I throw on there every 2 years. I have the charcoal cannister hooked up with the purge solenoid. If you just want it not to stink, I would go with 2 of those really high flow cats, and the gas tank vent hooked up and that's it.

Kurt

Thanks guys, more specifically I mean if you started fresh with a completely empty engine bay and none of the original parts, what would you include in the new setup? Not what existing parts you would remove from a running car.

That’s what I did.
908020C0-E536-47A7-9B6D-1C78B404D064.jpeg
I’m putting cats, EGR and charcoal canister back. My cats don’t need the air pump, so that’s deleted. No sniffer, but inspection shops are instructed to turn cars away without cats. the hood stays shut

I mean if you don't live in an emissions state, what's your goal? My car passes emissions with 2 cheapy Magnaflow catalytic converters I throw on there every 2 years. I have the charcoal cannister hooked up with the purge solenoid. If you just want it not to stink, I would go with 2 of those really high flow cats, and the gas tank vent hooked up and that's it.

Kurt
Sorry guys what I'm trying to figure out is the minimum systems for proper functionality/drivability without needing to meet any standards or laws. Cleaner engine bay and fewer systems to have to keep functional. Most discussions are about passing the emissions test, but what are the bare bones systems an EFI 5.0 actually requires to run right? This engine also would have a PRO-M engine management system so from the computer side it would be pretty flexible.

Last edited:
Without a tune? Then just leave the
EGR. But a tune or aftermarket ECU can make that unnecessary as well.

charcosl canister can be deleted with some hardware added to address the fumes, and modern cats don’t require the air pump system.

It can all go with the right prep

Last edited:
Sorry guys what I'm trying to figure out is the minimum systems for proper functionality/drivability without needing to meet any standards or laws. Cleaner engine bay and fewer systems to have to keep functional. Most discussions are about passing the emissions test, but what are the bare bones systems an EFI 5.0 actually requires to run right? This engine also would have a PRO-M engine management system so from the computer side it would be pretty flexible.

You don't need any emissions stuff then. I was struggling there for a moment. I thought that would be obvious.

Kurt

Bench racing aside, we are one election away from having nation wide emission standards testing in all cars in all states. Better save everything you take off if you do not want your car impounded.

Bench racing aside, we are one election away from having nation wide emission standards testing in all cars in all states. Better save everything you take off if you do not want your car impounded.
Wait until some politician tells you that you must put a smog system on the rear end of every cow. Didn't you know that Cow Farts are a major pollutant and a threat to our clear air?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

I seriously doubt that. The politicians can't even get the manufacturers to stop lying about car emissions, which is of far greater concern than dynoing the 1% of cars on the road that aren't OBD2. There are far better ways to curb emissions than to build thousands of test dynos.

Kurt

Legally, according to FEDERAL law, ALL of the original emissions equipment must stay on the car and be functional, regardless of where in the United States you live.

That said, in a city/county/state that doesn't inspect, you can get away with almost anything, but it doesn't make it legal.

Even in states with inspections, there's loopholes. In Texas, for instance, my '75 Mustang II would still fail a visual for not having an EGR valve, PCV valve, AIR pump, factory-style air cleaner with pre-heater tube, and the charcoal canister (which is there, but not connected). It would pass in spite of no longer having catalytic converters because Texas doesn't require them on cars built before 1984. None of this directly matters because the car doesn't get inspected because it has Antique plates which exempt it from inspection and a front license plate. All of it is still technically illegal.

The EPA started a royal crackdown on performance parts under the current administration, threatening to even go so far as to start sending agents to dirt tracks and drag strips. This is currently being battled in the courts, not the ballot box.

I seriously doubt that. The politicians can't even get the manufacturers to stop lying about car emissions, which is of far greater concern than dynoing the 1% of cars on the road that aren't OBD2. There are far better ways to curb emissions than to build thousands of test dynos.

Kurt
There are better ways to reduce emissions at the tailpipe than farm subsidies for ethanol to be added to gasoline too, but that's still happening because it garners votes. If the politicians think dyno manufacturers will give campaign donations and hire the right lobbyists and PR people to make the idea popular, it'll happen.

I know all that, I just don't see it happening. It's a very expensive way to fix a problem, and there isn't much money to go around right now. It sounds more like a scare tactic to get a group of people to vote against their own interests, like "They are coming to get your guns!"

Kurt

Mass eliminated emissions testing because it was deemed too expensive to keep the systems operating given the relatively few pre-obd2 vehicles that didn’t rust out. They just rely on the OBD2 scan and exempted all pre-obd vehicles.

I don’t see them going back to the sniffer anytime soon given that they recently did away with them and revamped the inspection process to heavily depend on the obd2 scan

It was also too easy to get a 'inspection sticker' here in Florida, they mostly just checked lights, brakes and horn not emissions stuff anyway.
It was more of a safety inspection.

You must have not lived in an emissions County in Florida back in the day. It was 2 hours of sitting in line with the car idling for them to do a sniffer test at idle. By the time you actually got to the test in the damp 95 degree air, the car was so loaded it up it failed. The trick was to wait until you were about 10 cars out, and then pull the spout connector, and drop the fuel pressure a few PSI so the engine got so hot it would melt diamonds.

Kurt