Built engine emissions considerations

Mass eliminated emissions testing because it was deemed too expensive to keep the systems operating given the relatively few pre-obd2 vehicles that didn’t rust out. They just rely on the OBD2 scan and exempted all pre-obd vehicles.

I don’t see them going back to the sniffer anytime soon given that they recently did away with them and revamped the inspection process to heavily depend on the obd2 scan

Same problem in Georgia. Cars over 25 years old were exempt, and all the emissions facilities are private enterprises. So years ago they stopped maintaining the dynos. I just did my last emissions test on the Mustang last year. It was on the last dyno within 50 miles of me that was still working. I did it 6 months early because the guy who runs the dyno told me that the owner had told him that if anything brakes on it that it wouldn't be fixed, and they would just do OBD2 tests.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

If London can try to get rid of all fossil fuel cars, and AOC wants COWtalitic convertors, it’s worth putting parts on the shelf. Then we can put the box in the back seat if Cash For our Clunkers comes back and is mandatory. Do you really think politicians will do things the best way? :)
I also thought about the money issue. With recent spending, who knows how much will be spent on the next hyped crisis?

Back on track, if the OP just wants it to run with a from scratch engine and new computer EFI system, I’d keep the charcoal canister set up for when it.’s parked hot, and a PCV system to keep the engine bay clean and smelling better. Two of my vehicles did not come with even those features and they run fine.

I seriously doubt that. The politicians can't even get the manufacturers to stop lying about car emissions, which is of far greater concern than dynoing the 1% of cars on the road that aren't OBD2. There are far better ways to curb emissions than to build thousands of test dynos.

Kurt

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I'm just giving you a hard time man. You have to know when it's a joke.

Kurt
good-joke-hahaha.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If London can try to get rid of all fossil fuel cars, and AOC wants COWtalitic convertors, it’s worth putting parts on the shelf. Then we can put the box in the back seat if Cash For our Clunkers comes back and is mandatory. Do you really think politicians will do things the best way? :)

My family is Norwegian. I'm actually the only one in my family who hasn't moved back. They are pushing the same agenda there. They are winning too; having reached the 50% margin. I don't agree with it. I'm not convinced the sum pollution of electric cars outweighs the CO2 of an internal combustion engine. I might be wrong, and I hope I am. By the way that COWtalitic converter thing was stated clearly as a joke on a statement letter from AOC's office prior to the HR for the Green New Deal and it got spun. Even the most radical of the radical left is not going that far.

Kurt

The joke about collecting cow burps and toots is older than even that.
But PETA and climate change advocates have long been very serious about making everyone vegans and have been against cattle emissions, feedlots, pork etc for a long time.
If I go electric, I hope it will be for the torque and free top offs at the store. :runaway:Zoom!

My family is Norwegian. I'm actually the only one in my family who hasn't moved back. They are pushing the same agenda there. They are winning too; having reached the 50% margin. I don't agree with it. I'm not convinced the sum pollution of electric cars outweighs the CO2 of an internal combustion engine. I might be wrong, and I hope I am. By the way that COWtalitic converter thing was stated clearly as a joke on a statement letter from AOC's office prior to the HR for the Green New Deal and it got spun. Even the most radical of the radical left is not going that far.

Kurt

Wow, I haven't checked this in a couple days, kind of took a hard left turn (political pun intended). I was hoping to spark the convo about future emissions and our older cars though, in this political climate it seems anything is possible going forward. I got the info I needed for now though, thanks all...

If I had to do it all over again, I'd run everything other than the smog pump and go for an entire factory look just with better parts.

But I'm like 4 engines past that...

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users