bullit wheels on 87 mustang w/lug conversion fitment question?

• Sponsors (?)

SmockDoiley said:
Uh, the fronts dont stick out any farther than the rear. For a perfect front setup I used 235s in the front to eliminate any rubbing because the fox body is not designed to house 245s. The spacers and studs are $46, and the rotors are $100. Get lincoln Mark VII rotors without ABS for its easier to press in and out the studs. The lincolns bolt right in place of your old GT rotors and are slightly larger for more braking surface. Using a 14/16th spacer and 3 inch stud it works fine. Both tires stick out the same and I'm running 235s in the front and 245s in the back. As for the back use ranger axles and ranger 9 inch drums. This obviously is no high tech disc brake swap but its the cheapest, and easiest to do. Using all new parts including rear end gasket, and new seals and bearings all around it comes to a whopping $300.

I don't see how your front wheels aren't sticking out.

On a stock mustang, the front wheels stick out farther than the rears. Now you are adding 1" spacers up front on each side so that's 2" wider up front. It's probably about 2.5" total when you take the factory difference in tracks.

I cannot move my front wheels out 1/4" let alone 7/8". If i did when i hit a bump my tire would hit my fender lip. Now try to TURN the wheel especially with a PRE-91 fender. SInce you push the wheel out farther you have a larger sweeping radius and you will rub no matter what size tire you have.

Mounting the wheels are one thing, actually being able to DRIVE the car fine is another problem. Sure i see a lot of guys too at shows using spacers with lincoln rotors. Every actually ask them how it is driving with it? Ask them about the rub when they try to turn. I also see tons of guys who swap on Cobra 13" front disks at shows still running the STOCK MC. "Hows the pedal I ask" "Oh it's not bad but i'm not that impressed with these brakes" Gee i wonder why. Anyway what i'm saying is just because people do it doesn't mean it's right.

I've had the lincoln setup, ranger rear drum, SVO rear disk and SN95setup. Just about every damn 5-lug setup out there has at one time been on my car. Our front fenders are tight, spacers just makes it tighter.

I've put over 100 miles on my setup and have never rubbed. On top of that, they are 99 cobras like you mentioned so I'm using slightly less than an inch right now. Not only do the 99s and I'm sure other rims not clear the dust cover, the lip for the little center cap stops the rotor from seating all the way onto the rim. By raising the rim 7/8ths you allow the rim to seat all the way and give enough clearance to snap the centercap on and not touch the dust cap. My car is also an 85 so it by far has the smallest fenderwells, and no I didnt roll them. I dont know what to tell you, but I have no rubbing issues, I have full lock to lock with no issues, my alignment is fine, and my car is lowered with no issues. I'm not saying anyone here is full of crap. Its just that I got a good deal on 99 cobras and I wanted to use them, but I didnt have the funds for a crazy brake setup so I did the Lincoln setup. After test fitting the parts I thought "oh crap". So I spent some good time in my room measuring everything and figuring it out because it had to work. I had already painted the calipers so I was stuck with the lincoln setup. I came up with some numbers and ordered the parts needed, crossed my fingers when they came in and low and behold it worked. If I didnt have the carb off right now I'd go drive it some more just to show you, but youll have to wait. Granted I dont know how it would work with 245s but nobody here should be using 245s in the front on a fox especially if its lowered. Maybe the 235's and 245s out back compensate for the track width problem but it looks good to me.
Do you need me to take pictures and send them to you or try to post them?

Why not just get SN95 spindles, you don't have to deal with spacers,or worry about something failing. Plus you get bigger brakes, even stock 94+ brakes are better over the Fox brakes. And you have a much wider vareity of brakes, which are much cheaper, and work pretty much the same to aftermarket brakes. Like the 13" Cobra brakes for example.

Another vote for doing the sn95 5-lug conversion. Not only do the rear drums look like hell when you have wheels with larger windows, the stock brakes suck. Any performance mods that you do will quickly make those brakes inadequate. I am currently converting to sn95 brakes from a lincoln/ranger conversion, and might I say the looks are a night and day difference. The first trip down the 1/4 mile with the lincoln rotors resulted in warped rotors. It's just inevitable. Save up some money, and do it right.

One other thing I'd like to mention is that I personally feel that 4 lugs mated to any 5 spoke wheel looks terrible when the lug towers are showing(atleast in my eyes, but hey...I do design rims for a living).

Here are my 17x8 cobra rims with 235's when i had the lincoln setup.

There's just no way i could have pushed them out anoother 1" without having some serious rubbing issues. They rub as it is. 1" spacers would not work for my setup, just as i'm sure it won't work for other people. I went Sn95 anyway. I used to have lincoln front and rear but i wanted the bling bling value of 13" rotors

Offset.jpg