Burning off oil after heads were at machine shop, need some help

DARK-5.0

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Leawood, KS
So I had my heads and lower intake resurfaced and while they were at the machine shop. The machinest recommended that I get new intake valve seals cause they looked tired. Since seals are cheap I said go for it. Well now once the car warms up, it smokes a ton and the low oil light came on after 200 miles of driving. I'm super pissed about it but if it comes down to putting in new seals, How hard is it to do with the heads still on the car. I don't want to pull the heads again, and the lower intake if I can. I have a spring compressor but what other tools will I need. Thanks

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

I did that with my heads. The seals they gave me were wrong so I replaced them with ford seals with the heads and lower intake on the motor. You just need one of those pry-bar style spring compressors and a telescoping magnet to pull the retainers out, works like a charm. After a few springs, you'll get good at removing them and putting them back on pretty quickly.

But to make sure you don't drop a valve and to break the valve loose from the retainers, you need to pull all your plugs then use a pen or something to find TDC at each cylinder as you go. You'll find that the valves move down with the spring and once it hits the piston, the retainers pop loose. Just don't force it.

if you got an air compressor you can buy a fitting that attaches to the air hose and screws into the spark plug hole.

take off your rockers/plugs, fill up the cylinder with air and work your magic with the springs. easy as pie.

4 bolts 5 minutes.

Well I don't have air at the house but I don't think I have a grasp on what you mean if I were to use air. Fill the cylinder with air so the valve doesn't drop? How would I get the seal out if the valve was held up with air?

Jeremy