• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Burning smell??

  • Thread starter Thread starter RED98
  • Start date Start date Nov 11, 2006

RED98

Member
May 22, 2004
0
1
6
People's Republic of Oregon
Nov 11, 2006
#1
  • Nov 11, 2006
  • #1
Here's a new problem that just came up in the past 2 days.. there's a burning smell that shows up when the car is sitting still while running, like at a stoplight. It's not real strong and there's no smoke anywhere, but it's definitely there. I know it's not oil spilled on the engine; I know what that smells like and this is different. Besides my last oil change was 2000 miles ago. This smells more like burning rubber or plastic. I can't find it. I parked in the garage and very carefully tried to track it down.. it must have looked funny; there I was with the hood popped, crawling all around the car, almost sniffing like a dog! But no luck, I don't know where it's coming from. All the gauges are reading normal, and the car runs like normal, other than the smell, there's no problem. Has anyone ever had this happen? Do you think it's worth taking it in to the Ford dealer so they can tell me they can't duplicate the problem?
 

QuickCapri83

New Member
Sep 5, 2004
80
0
0
North East, PA
Nov 12, 2006
#2
  • Nov 12, 2006
  • #2
Not always best to run to the dealer, unless that is, your dealer is good and honest, if you're that lucky, then, by all means. Anywho, I have had an identical problem. It was my alternator, it was "starting" to go bad. It made that annoying, burnt rubber kind of smell, for about three weeks, maybe a thousand miles, and then one day the battery light came on, and stayed on, but, it kept charging. I drove the car another two days, until payday, then got a brand new one (I never buy reman stuff) and I was good. But I mean, no guarentee that's your problem, but, sounds very similar to my issue. Also, funny how I went so long with the alt. in such bad shape, and kept charging, never let me sitting on the side of the road that car. Miss it.

GL

:SNSign:
 

02ponypackage

New Member
Apr 7, 2005
126
0
0
Florida
Nov 12, 2006
#3
  • Nov 12, 2006
  • #3
some plastic can be burning on something somewhere or touching hot metal at times...my plastic around my 02 sensor wires ended up touching my exhaust pipe and melted the what was the protective casing so maybe something is touching on and off as u drive
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
171
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
T
Oil burning on my recently buil 302
  • The blk67
  • May 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
202
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 15, 2026
Noobz347
R
Microsquirt tune for stroked 351W in a foxbody
  • roldy
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
6
Views
237
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 11, 2026
roldy
R
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
193
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
Buying with a bad motor?
  • djj62478
  • Mar 8, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
386
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Mar 11, 2026
TTSaleen
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?