Buy a short block or crate?

Hello all I have recently run into some cash (4K) and I’m committed to fixing the engine on my 89LX.
It runs but it smokes and burns oil and leaks from everywhere possible. The odometer broke 5yrs ago at 155,xxx so I guess it’s at least at 200k it’s a daily driver. I already have a full Edelbrock top end:

-Edelbrock Performer heads part no. 6037
-Edelbrock Performer RPM upper intake part no.????
-Edelbrock Performer lower intake part no.3820
-Edelbrock 70MM throttle body
-Edelbrock /BBK 70MM EGR SPACER

So what do you guys suggest I do.
Buy a short block and reassemble?
Or buy this crate and sell the top end.
1982-95 Mustang 5.0L Ford Racing (Frpp) Crate Engine, 306 Cubic Inch & 340 Horsepower, M-6007-X302 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I do not have the skills to do any of the work myself so I have to farm it all out.

All I want is a reliable car not going to race. But if I could get a little more power that would be great.
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I have to disagree. While your heads and intake may not be the best flowing out there, they are decent heads and intake. You can easily buy a short block stroker for half of your total budget, probably less. Re-use your heads and intake, maybe a new cam, and I bet you would have money left over and make more horsepower.

Talk to some guys in your area...ask about machine shops and engine builders. If you can't find one that you can trust, their are plenty of companies you can order from. When you say you don't have the skills.... are you referring to building the bottom end only? If you are capable of doing a HCI swap, then I think buying a short block is the way to go. Although, there are benefits to having a completely assembled motor showing up on your door steps, but I always think its cooler to say you did it yourself.

Just my opinion, you will have to do what best suits you. Just a couple of options below...

Ford Short Block - Ford 331 Short Block, Ford Small Block Flat Top Stroker

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6009E/79-95-Economy-50L-Mustang-Short-Block

By the way...are you from Chatsworth GA?

No question in my mind. Your heads are better than the long block you're looking at. You can get a better quality shortblock and install your parts for a lot less money. You can get a higher quality shortblock and swap your parts for the same amount of money.

Some things that stick out: get a custom cam (Ed Curtis - Flowtech induction aka FTI), stick with your heads, stick with your intake. Go stroker - a 347 is going to be pennies more than a 306, but you're going to gain some hp and a ton of torque. Go higher compression - you'll pick up power and fuel efficiency, too, though you'll also have to run premium the increase in efficiency will likely completely offset this cost.

I'm not going to go through the research and price out the above for you, but if you do, you'll be surprised at the difference. That X-headed combo is going to night and day vs. the combo I just laid out for you. You will blow the doors off of a 306 9:1 X-headed combo with a 347 10.5:1 Performer headed combo. Granted, the heads are still on the small side, but since the cost will be the same and you'll have better performance, and even more potential going with a crate is the wrong way to go.

Chris

Have a friend that bought that X-Long block 306 and wasn't nearly has potent as you might think. I'd steer clear of that. The guys above really hit on the head. I went with a 347 Stroker when it was time over a 306 and 331 option. The 347 was such a torque monster. Had a custom cam in it, Systemax Intake, AFR 185's, it was crazy fast. Take all your stuff and bolt it to a 347. Later you can sell all of that an upgrade to better heads, intake, etc. like I did.

347 Stroker

Motor12-29-05.jpg

Attachments

• Motor12-29-05.jpg
    Motor12-29-05.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 103
I happen to like the x headed crate engines.
Do they make the most power? No.
But they do have a warranty, they are quick and easy to install and will run pretty much identical to a factory 5.0 except with more power, they also come with the water pump and timing cover on. Little parts and gaskets add up.

I understand why these guys are suggesting you do otherwise, but with your skill level and budget, you are likely to land up with a money pit you can't afford if you try to go with a 347 and all high end parts.

If you are good with around 300rwhp (maybe a couple less), do the crate engine.
You then can probably re-coop $500-$600 selling your edelbrock heads to help cover some of the installation expenses.

Thanks guys for the info. I would be happy with 300hp i want reliability and i don't race. I live in an apartment. I don't have the tools or the space to do any of the work. I do like the short block idea better though forget about the crate. I'm not shure about a custom cam I'm in California and need to pass smog. Could you guys recommend a good shop that can do this for me so I could price it out. I'm willing to drive up to two hours away from the san Fernando valley. Depending on the labor charge I'll get a 347, 331 or 306

Thanks guys for the info. I would be happy with 300hp i want reliability and i don't race. I live in an apartment. I don't have the tools or the space to do any of the work. I do like the short block idea better though forget about the crate. I'm not shure about a custom cam I'm in California and need to pass smog. Could you guys recommend a good shop that can do this for me so I could price it out. I'm willing to drive up to two hours away from the san Fernando valley. Depending on the labor charge I'll get a 347, 331 or 306

Paying someone to build and install an entire engine is going to far exceed your budget.
Engine build labor in my area is $1200 or so and that doesn't included the parts, which will probably add $800. At this point you are still at a shortblock, less the cam. All the gaskets, bolts, timing chain, cam and rest of the assembly is sure to add another $1000.

Let's not forget either if you don't have a donor block, it could take weeks or even months to turn your engine into a 347.

You don't have to get the x crate engine, but for sure you are better off with a crate engine of some sort in your current situation.

the 347 is tempting "VibrantRedGT" especially looking at your ride. but again i have to pay someone to do it for me unfortunately. since im going through the trouble of pulling everything out i might as well get some performance out of it. I'm over the crate idea. I'm going to go with the 331 short block "RangerJoe"suggested here: CHP GT Short Block - Ford 331 Flat Top -4.0cc and upgrade the heads later maybe.

all i need now is a reputable shop.
thanks alot guys