Buying a 2012, having 2nd thoughts, need owners input

Tron84

Jan 8, 2012
Hi everyone

I've been reading all the threads on this forum for a long time since i've been a huge stang fan for a long time, never posted yet due to the fact it didn't feel right since i'm not an actual mustang owner...yet. Anyways, since the new 5.0 came back out i've been just obsessed with them and promised myself i WILL end up with one. Well that time has come as I plan on ordering my 5.0 within the next month or two.
Now I've read all the posts about the tranny problems, and the engines burning through oil and burning up. My question to you guys is, Are all of these problems being blown out of proportion due to the internet and all, or are there really that many people having these issues? I know i'll have the warranty, but the inconvinience / embarassment of having these major problems would be a big setback. I'm really thinking its the internet/social media that is making it SEEM worse than it is, what do you guys think?

P.S. - I'm talking STOCK 5.0, cuz I know once i start modding its all on me.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I cant recall any stories of the burning oil, rather being delivered low on oil after service. The 1st gear problems do seem to pop up fairly often (sometimes mine is silky smooth and sometimes not but my T56 was the same way).

1200 miles (has been like this since I drove it off the lot). Most of the manual trans cars I've had (at least 10 of them now) over the years have had this issue. I dont believe what I'm experiencing is what others are complaining about.

Ok thats good to hear. I can't wait to get mine ordered... gotta wait for the snow to melt too:notnice:
I got me a 2012 GT/CS a few weeks ago and drove it from Garner, NC to Tampa, FL (a 700 mile+ trip) after changing the oil to Mobil 1 5W20 at a local Wal Mart Supercenter. I checked the oil level after they were done changing the oil and again after arriving in Tampa. I can tell you that my car's oil level dropped a grand total of... nothing. It actually stayed the same. So far, I'm happy with my car's performance and looks. I'd say go for it. Try to find one with the HID xenon headlights. There is a huge diff. between hids and halogens.

Tron84: Hey man the new mustangs are awesome cars. I bought a 2012 Boss 302 about 5 months ago and this is without a doubt the best new car I've ever bought. I'm 60 and have bought many new cars in my life. I've got 7200 miles on her now and have not had any problems. I did a 2800 mile round trip from Dallas to Miami and did not use any oil. About the only complaint is some folks think the manual transmission shifts hard. Well, it has a skip shift function that can be a pain if you are driving slowly around town. It blocks 2nd and 3rd gear and puts you in 4th. I went under the car and disconnected the plug for the skip shift. Now it shifts like a manual tranny should. The other issue with the tranny is that it is a little hard to shift when it's cold. The factory started using a thiner oil to help correct this. I still have the original oil in mine. I did put an after marker shifter from Steeda in it and the thing shifts way better. If you do order one, get the Brembo brake package. Good luck, it's a fantastic car.

I'd even consider waiting for a 2013 hoping that more of the issues will be resolved, except that they got rid of my favorite color kona blue. does anyone know how late you can order a 2012?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

They should be coming off the line with the new thinner trans oil right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe they have made that change at the factory too. Get to your dealer soon if you want a 2012. I don't know when the 2013 come on line. I think there is a rebate on the 2012. Get it, you won't be sorry.

I think if you go to any online forum, you'll find ppl having problems regardless of the subject (computers, tools, cars, etc...) and yes, internet/technology makes it a whole lot easier for ppl to post problems and tell others about so-in-so who had a problem which makes the "problem" seem worse. Internet/technology also makes info on how to correct these problems easier to get and for the most part, if man built it, it can be rebuilt and/or fixed/made better! You have an idea of what to look out for so keep your eye on it and if there's a problem, get it fixed while it's under warranty. There are enough other new vehicles being taken in for repairs that you shouldn't be embarassed.
$3000rebate!?!?!? I hope they make it last for another month!!!

I don't really see anymore 'warranty problems' than usuall on these cars as compared to others. Pretty normal if you ask me. The one's most complained about are those caused by modding and expecting to be compensated under warranty for their own decisions. So, on that, I'd say to you if you mod it and it breaks, the dime is on you in most cases. You can however have it modded by the dealer but, it can still have an effect on your warranty as far as length goes. Something to check on if you are looking in that direction . I also was one who had low oil in my GT when I got it. Since I always check my oil and other items when I bring it home for the first time, it was not an issue. Always do a 'sevice check' when you get it home for the first time. Check those items in your owners manual and if you are not so inclined, have it checked by a trusted professional. It can save you a lot of headaches.

I love my stang runs perfect. 6A Broke it in old school. Ran 12.96 bone stock the first time at track. Changed oil at 5600 with ford semisynth, at 10K changed to RP 5-20.Does not burn a drop of oil. (From all that I've read on these forums some of these engines do need break-in IMHO.). But check out this link. If you can get past all the forum B:poo:ters, insults and bashing there is some good info to be gleamed from it. I go through most of the forums and try to get a jump on potential problems.

allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/305495-official-coyote-oil-consumption-poll-thread.html

I have had the worst experience with Ford and our local dealership- County Ford. I purchased a 2012 Mustang GT and we had had transmission problems. After many weeks of trying to get them to take the car back they have denied our request. Ford advertises American Built but the transmissions are built in China. They brag about their customer service but it’s the worst I have experienced- especially locally. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened an investigation. There are many complaints about the transmission on the Mustang forums on the internet and YouTube. There are some lawsuits filed against Ford reference this. My wife and I have no confidence in the car and believe it is not safe. A new $38000 car should not be in the shop for 60 days in the first 4 months of ownership. I’ve made four payments ($559.28 ea.). The first payment made the car was not in our possession. The vehicle broke one week after the second payment was made. The payment on 12/01/11 the vehicle was not in our possession and the last payment on 1/03/12 we had had the vehicle back for only 1 days and the vehicle was parked in our garage. We paid $4000 down, we’ve made four payments totaling $2237.12 at 0% interest. Basically we have spent $6237.12 and have not had the car in our possession for half of the time of ownership. That’s not including insurance and taxes (approximately $50 a month insurance and just paid $293 taxes on car) and title, registration fees and taxes when purchased. That is a lot of money for our family. We have been patient and tried to work this out. After the first repair we accepted an extended warranty. After the transmission locked up while traveling through one of the most busiest intersections we do not feel the car is safe.

Purchased vehicle- 8/16/11.
1st repair-Vehicle was at County Ford for 2 ½ weeks (total) in September-Oct (they evaluated and ordered parts. Took car back to be repaired)
2nd repair- 11/08/11 – 12/23/11 (45 days) **vehicle on lift the entire time. Found out when we picked it up they damaged the Ext housing while attempting to replace bearing-had to wait for parts shipped from China**
3rd repair- 1/11/12-until?

Ford will not buy the car back from us and sadly we will not ever buy another Ford.

I have had the worst experience with Ford and our local dealership- County Ford. I purchased a 2012 Mustang GT and we had had transmission problems. After many weeks of trying to get them to take the car back they have denied our request. Ford advertises American Built but the transmissions are built in China. They brag about their customer service but it’s the worst I have experienced- especially locally. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened an investigation. There are many complaints about the transmission on the Mustang forums on the internet and YouTube. There are some lawsuits filed against Ford reference this. My wife and I have no confidence in the car and believe it is not safe. A new $38000 car should not be in the shop for 60 days in the first 4 months of ownership. I’ve made four payments ($559.28 ea.). The first payment made the car was not in our possession. The vehicle broke one week after the second payment was made. The payment on 12/01/11 the vehicle was not in our possession and the last payment on 1/03/12 we had had the vehicle back for only 1 days and the vehicle was parked in our garage. We paid $4000 down, we’ve made four payments totaling $2237.12 at 0% interest. Basically we have spent $6237.12 and have not had the car in our possession for half of the time of ownership. That’s not including insurance and taxes (approximately $50 a month insurance and just paid $293 taxes on car) and title, registration fees and taxes when purchased. That is a lot of money for our family. We have been patient and tried to work this out. After the first repair we accepted an extended warranty. After the transmission locked up while traveling through one of the most busiest intersections we do not feel the car is safe.

Purchased vehicle- 8/16/11.
1st repair-Vehicle was at County Ford for 2 ½ weeks (total) in September-Oct (they evaluated and ordered parts. Took car back to be repaired)
2nd repair- 11/08/11 – 12/23/11 (45 days) **vehicle on lift the entire time. Found out when we picked it up they damaged the Ext housing while attempting to replace bearing-had to wait for parts shipped from China**
3rd repair- 1/11/12-until?

Ford will not buy the car back from us and sadly we will not ever buy another Ford.
Yours indeed sounds like an extreme case of a bad dealership, although from your description it sounds like it clearly falls into the lemon law (which EVERY manufacturer is going to have them). Have you looked into having it lemoned? Or are there states out there that don't have the lemon law? Do you have any mods or is it completely stock? So far pretty much everyone that i've seen complaining about these problems has gone beyond stock. (yes even including axle back exhaust as a mod)

Good luck, hope things get better