Buying a 289 Block

216Jax

Feb 15, 2007
Hello, I am in the process of beginning a 289 build for my 66. I stumbled across an add on Craigslist for a 289 block out of a 67, with 55,000 orginial miles. She says that there was a rebuild done, and the compression is great. Anyway, I guess that it is in great shape with only minor surface rusting. It is listed for 175, I guess my question is why is it so cheap? I am pretty new to classics but I figured something that runs and with that low of mileage would go for a lot more. What do you guys think? Thanks so much in advanced and have a nice day.

• Sponsors (?)

Price depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is how badly the seller wants the junk, I mean engine, out of their backyard. ;) How complete is the motor, ie pan-to-intake, or is it missing something? How long has it been sitting? Was all the water drained and the block made ready for storage, or is the thing now swiss cheese inside from sitting for years filled with water? Does the crank spin or is it rusted in place along with the rest of the rotating assembly?

There's a lot of 'ifs' and unknowns in something like this. FWIW, I've bought and sold disassembled or shortblock motors that were in great shape for next to nothing, depending on who owed me what or if I was doing a favor for someone. I've also seen bare blocks go for what that seller's asking for the complete motor.

Again, it's worth what the seller's willing to let it go for, and what the buyer's willing to pay for it.

I picked up an origional 289 with heads, intake manifold, box of extras including two carbs etc etc and the engine stand for $175 here in Texas. The motor has never been rebuilt, no cracks and is in great condition. I guess it really depends on how bad they want to get rid of it. Just look it over real good.

Alright, thanks so much for your input. Like I said I am new to these engines, I have been building Honda's for the past few years and I was confused because I thought that I would need heads for it to run. She corrected me and said that the only thing it needs is an oil pan and some other lines. I really want to build it anyway though, I am not looking for an instant swap and run.

It's that price due to the popularity of the roller 302 blocks. Only someone looking for a "correct" date coded 289 block for a concours resto would pay more. If it's been stored outdoors have it magnafluxed to make sure the block's not cracked from freezing.

I'm always kind of skeptical anyway, but here's my thinking: if they can't prove that the engine they are selling is rebuilt (receipts) and that it runs at all, assume it is at best, a core for a rebuild. 289/302's are extremely common and dirt cheap. So are sellers with a BS story about how they just rebuilt the motor they have for sale. If it's any good at all, why isn't it still in the car? Ask lots and lots of questions before you plunk down one dime.