Buying a Fox, need help, new to StangNet

ndalake

Aug 30, 2006
Goodview, VA
Hello,

I've been lurking out here soaking up knowledge and need some help. I am in love with the Fox chasis cars and I've owned one for only 45 days last year. 1989 GT Convertible, loved it but personal situation dictated selling, very sad day but made money on the deal. :D I've loved these cars since high school (I'm 30). Anyways, looking at a one owner '85 Mustang GT in very good shape, engine has been rebuilt once already, 196,000 miles, owned by a mechanic for about $2500. Also looking at a '88 GT supposedly with a crate motor (details are sketchy, no receipts) and a Vortech supercharger running 6lbs. of boost, 420hp dynoed if true. $6500. Am I better off with the non-EFI one-owner '85 or the '88? What do you all think or should I just wait and hold off on both? Once I buy my next Fox, I'll be sure to properly introduce myself and post pics.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Daily driver to some degree when not riding my motorcycle. Doubt I'll ever go to a track, but would like some horsepower, why buy a Mustang otherwise, right? The '85 I could build however I decide. The '88 is already built to where I would take it, I'm just not 100% sold that it is a legit since I didn't do it and there are no receipts. Thanks.

if your going to drive it everyday i would wait till i could get a 90 to 93 fox since they have the airbags, fuel injection, and other stuff that the older cars didnt have.
i had a 89 before i got the 91 and i would throw rocks at the 89 compared to the two. i have the power doorlocks,windows,airbag,and fuel injection which the car gets about 19mpg and i love the car much more than the other. plus i wouldnt buy a modded car to drive everyday unless your the one modding, reason being the car is your means of transportation and if your always working on it ,its not doing its job but if you are adding to and not fixxing its ok. it may be confusing and if you dont understand i will try to reexplain.

68torinogt said:
if your going to drive it everyday i would wait till i could get a 90 to 93 fox since they have the airbags, fuel injection, and other stuff that the older cars didnt have.
i had a 89 before i got the 91 and i would throw rocks at the 89 compared to the two. i have the power doorlocks,windows,airbag,and fuel injection which the car gets about 19mpg and i love the car much more than the other. plus i wouldnt buy a modded car to drive everyday unless your the one modding, reason being the car is your means of transportation and if your always working on it ,its not doing its job but if you are adding to and not fixxing its ok. it may be confusing and if you dont understand i will try to reexplain.

89 is one of the best years......It DOES have EFI, power locks, windows and cruise. No air bag which i like because of the look of the steering wheel, but i dont drive mine everyday. Better pistons then the later foxes that used the hyperuetic pieces that were ok but not good with boost:nono:

Daily driver, i would get the EFI over carb.......just my $0.02

Flavadave4 said:
89 is one of the best years......It DOES have EFI, power locks, windows and cruise. No air bag which i like because of the look of the steering wheel, but i dont drive mine everyday. Better pistons then the later foxes that used the hyperuetic pieces that were ok but not good with boost:nono:

my 89 was a modded car. i just didnt like it near as much,it was to the point of unreliable for the street and i didnt trust it since i bought it that way. it got like 10 mpg and the ac sucked. i did like the steering whell but it doesnt matter to me that much. i was just offering my opinion since nobody else was jumping in. imo i wouldnt buy neither.

68torinogt said:
my 89 was a modded car. i just didnt like it near as much,it was to the point of unreliable for the street and i didnt trust it since i bought it that way. it got like 10 mpg and the ac sucked. i did like the steering whell but it doesnt matter to me that much. i was just offering my opinion since nobody else was jumping in. imo i wouldnt buy neither.

Understandable......a strip car is not fun to drive everyday

Trust me, they're mostly all unreliable unless you've spent $5,000 to $10,000 to revamp the whole car. The 85 is probably the most beautiful and one of the most rare mustangs out there... it's a one off year.

I had an 86 as a daily driver for 5 years and went through all kinds of problems, if you are good with a wrench though... it's the best daily driver there is.

Common Problems due to daily driving? Try anything you can think of. These cars were built to move... not to last 250,000 miles though some people have.

Main things are the cooling system (esp. heater core), transmissions, and all those sensors (esp. TPS, IAC), and the fuel pump. The alternators suck too :rlaugh: just a heads up if you will. If you check those things I think you'll be alright to drive it everyday :nice:

PS: a 400 hp daily driver is probably not a good idea ;)
Welcome to :SNSign: !!!

19 mpg!!! that sucks my h/c/i 93lx get 24 on long trips, and in town.....nevermind:D
i daily drove my lx for 5 years when it was bone stock except headers and never had any problems, 400 horse car no reciepts= run like hell, not a good idea it will break and it will be expensive and then you are stranded, i only trust two people to work on my car me and a mechanic who has worked on it since i owned it, and before i knew anything, now he only does stuff i am too lazy to, and alingments and such. buying a modded car mostly is bad news, when i was looking for my vert that was one of the requerments that is was very close to stock, and i found one that is bone stock, well was stock any way, happy hunting and welcome to :SNSign:

bryce93lx said:
19 mpg!!! that sucks my h/c/i 93lx get 24 on long trips, and in town.....nevermind:D i daily drove my lx for 5 years when it was bone stock except headers and never had any problems, 400 horse car no reciepts= run like hell, not a good idea it will break and it will be expensive and then you are stranded, i only trust two people to work on my car me and a mechanic who has worked on it since i owned it, and before i knew anything, now he only does stuff i am too lazy to, and alingments and such. buying a modded car mostly is bad news, when i was looking for my vert that was one of the requerments that is was very close to stock, and i found one that is bone stock, well was stock any way, happy hunting and welcome to :SNSign:
the car never goes on the highway. it would get more than the 24 if i did. i have driven it on the highway twice but couldnt get at a cruzing speed and it got 21.

Flavadave4 said:

:Word: 89 is the perfect year, no airbag, but has MAF.....