Fox Buying An Sn95 5 Lug Swap. What To Look For?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Working on my project 93 notch. Going to check out the axles off of a 95 GT. Is there anything I should specifically look for when I see them. The person is also giving me the rotors and calipers. Is the swap easy to do?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I just did mine a few months ago. As far as the rear axles, just make sure the splines on the axles look good, and arent deformed, broken, etc. On the front, check the spindle bearing for binding, and "play". The hub should turn with little resistance, and feel smooth. You'll need a brake line adapter on the drivers side, because the 95 uses a different size fitting. This adaptor can be found on LMR for like $5. Overall easy to do. While your there, you might want to check your ball joints. I replaced mine when I did the spindles. Here's a few pictures. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 612
  • IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 656
  • IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 666
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks a lot for your help! Going to check it out tonight. What would be a good price to offer for the axles and brakes?

I just did mine a few months ago. As far as the rear axles, just make sure the splines on the axles look good, and arent deformed, broken, etc. On the front, check the spindle bearing for binding, and "play". The hub should turn with little resistance, and feel smooth. You'll need a brake line adapter on the drivers side, because the 95 uses a different size fitting. This adaptor can be found on LMR for like $5. Overall easy to do. While your there, you might want to check your ball joints. I replaced mine when I did the spindles. Here's a few pictures. Hope this helps!

Axles, rotors, calipers, brackets and anti moans and possibly the 94-95 rear soft lines....$100 or so if they are off a GT/V6

Keep in mind this pushes the wheel out 0.75" each side so wheel firament is critical. If you want to run 9" or wide rims, you should consider fox lenght 5-lug axles and north race car offset brackets.

Reactions: 1 users
So I couldn't do wide wheels with the sn95 axles? And the person I'm buying it from is asking $500, now that you said $100 it seems like hes charging a lot.

$500 for a used GT/V6 setup is a ripoff.

Here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-2300-m

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/..._mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-power-stop

Pick up a used pair of 94-95 Sn95 axles for $50-75 and some pads and that's a Sn95 COBRA read disk setup with NEW red powdercoated calipers for about $500. Other than the axles that would be a 100% new setup using the 11.65" Cobra rotors.

Used GT rear setup? $100-150 tops.

I run the above setup with 17x8 rear wheels and 255 width tires. But, you are limited on wheel selection due to the offset. There is a way to run fox width axles here.

What rims do you want to use?

EDIT: those calipers have an $40/ea core charge. I just looked on rockauto and with core, they are cheaper than summit, so I'd buy them there.

Reactions: 1 user
$500 for a used GT/V6 setup is a ripoff.

Here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-2300-m

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/..._mmc=pla-msn-_-shopping-_-srese2-_-power-stop

Pick up a used pair of 94-95 Sn95 axles for $50-75 and some pads and that's a Sn95 COBRA read disk setup with NEW red powdercoated calipers for about $500. Other than the axles that would be a 100% new setup using the 11.65" Cobra rotors.

Used GT rear setup? $100-150 tops.

I run the above setup with 17x8 rear wheels and 255 width tires. But, you are limited on wheel selection due to the offset. There is a way to run fox width axles here.

What rims do you want to use?

EDIT: those calipers have an $40/ea core charge. I just looked on rockauto and with core, they are cheaper than summit, so I'd buy them there.

So is the sn95 swap worth the hassle if there are spacing issues? As far as wheels I’m interested in, i want to keep them 17 x 9 or 17 x 10, I like my wide 275 tires I have on now.

Just out of curiosity, what are other options besides the sn95 swap, just changing the spindles?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Very informative.

So is the sn95 swap worth the hassle if there are spacing issues? As far as wheels I’m interested in, i want to keep them 17 x 9 or 17 x 10, I like my wide 275 tires I have on now.

Just out of curiosity, what are other options besides the sn95 swap, just changing the spindles?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Very informative.

You can get foxbody length 5 lug axles online and the backing plates to make it work .

That's what I did . I have 94-95 spindles , 97 cobra front brakes with 13 inch rotors , rear is fox length axles with 94-04 Gt calipers and rotors .

Car stops on a dime and I can run whatever wheel i please

know that you want 94-95 front spindles as 96-98 alter the front end geometry
I picked up some 96-98 front spindles. I have 95s on my car now. Putting the 96+ front spindles on might give my front tires the extra clearance I need to avoid scrubbing the inner fenders. However, I don't know if that will throw off my bracketry and require other parts that I don't have. Any ideas?

I picked up some 96-98 front spindles. I have 95s on my car now. Putting the 96+ front spindles on might give my front tires the extra clearance I need to avoid scrubbing the inner fenders. However, I don't know if that will throw off my bracketry and require other parts that I don't have. Any ideas?

Remember, the front wheels turn in an arc. The further you push the wheel out from the center pivot point, the larger the arc becomes.

So the 96+ spindles could actually make your run worse as the wheel moves further forward and aft

You can get foxbody length 5 lug axles online and the backing plates to make it work .

That's what I did . I have 94-95 spindles , 97 cobra front brakes with 13 inch rotors , rear is fox length axles with 94-04 Gt calipers and rotors .

Car stops on a dime and I can run whatever wheel i please

This is probably what I'm gonna do as soon as I'm ready to do the 5 lug swap on my vert.

Oh man. Today is not my day. So, I have 96+ straight arm ones on the car and thw curved armed ones that I picked up are 94-95s. So, maybe they will relieve the scrubbing issue after all.

Ok, now I've been straightened out on the years, the ones on my car (96+) are indeed further out and swapping to the 95s might get rid of my scrubbing issue. That said @Mustang5L5, I'm aware some grinding might be necessary, but is this just a straight forward remove/replace, or is it going to require other parts, given that everything is already set up on my 96+ setup?

You only need to grind if running the 99-04 GT/V6 dual piston calipers. Just need to clearance for the Pistons slightly.

After that it's a direct swap. Dust shields are the same. Hubs are the same. Just might need to check alignment