• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

buying tires soon..any recomendations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cb18201
  • Start date Start date Mar 6, 2004

cb18201

New Member
Oct 25, 2003
1,140
0
0
CT
Mar 6, 2004
#1
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #1
i was thinking about the nitto 555s (not the drag radials) anyone who had them know the pros and cons of these tires?, any tires better than these that dont cost an arm and a leg? thanks
 

1105

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
3,841
0
0
Daytona Bch, FL
Mar 6, 2004
#2
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #2
I have the Nitto 555's and have no complaints about them except the price could be a bit lower. They handle great and have good thread wear.
 
9

94VENOM

New Member
Jun 25, 2002
9
0
0
Mar 6, 2004
#3
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #3
I think that BF Goodrich is probably some of the best tires you can put on, i forget what the exact tire name is, but i think its comp T/A.
 

red94fiveo

New Member
Apr 12, 2003
1,269
0
0
Wichita, KS
Mar 6, 2004
#4
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #4
Why not get the 555 up front and a set of the DR's for the back? For the price that would be very effective.
 

Car Nut

Founding Member
Jul 6, 2000
1,176
1
37
Snellville, Georgia (Atlanta area)
Mar 6, 2004
#5
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #5
I've got the BFG KDW's and they are much better than the previous tires I've owned: stock Goodyear's and Sumitomo HTRZ. The BFG beats the other big time in wet weather, overall traction is better, and tire wear is twice as good as stock Goodyears. The BFG's are great on curvy roads, but probably not something for drag racing. Also, the look of BFG's are vastly better than most any tire.

I got my BFG's at Big 10 Tires for a great price (255/45/17), I think about $120 each. Didn't pay shipping that I used to with Tire Rack. Saved me lots of $$$.
 

viperos

New Member
May 19, 2003
2,943
0
0
Bellevue, WA (yes, the land where every 16 year o
Mar 6, 2004
#6
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #6
ok... I have to represent... Pirelli!! the PZero Nero M&S are the absolute best tire I've ever used on any sports car... my neighbor has them on his TT turbo, and I have them on my 95 stang... I have never seen better traction on both wet/dry/and snow!! not to mention, I got my 2.061 60' times w/ these street tires!! what more proof do you need?? not to mention the tread hasn't gone down like any after a full racing season, and about 10K miles on them... I probably have another good 40K miles at least!
 

cb18201

New Member
Oct 25, 2003
1,140
0
0
CT
Mar 6, 2004
#7
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #7
red94fiveo said:
Why not get the 555 up front and a set of the DR's for the back? For the price that would be very effective.
Click to expand...

that is what i was thinking also. i like that idea
 

viperos

New Member
May 19, 2003
2,943
0
0
Bellevue, WA (yes, the land where every 16 year o
Mar 6, 2004
#8
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #8
trust me, go w/ Pirelli... $150 a tire... long tread life... and unsurpassed traction from what I've tested out so far...
 

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
457
0
48
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Mar 6, 2004
#9
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #9
Don't get Potenzas, theyr burn up quicker then your cigarette.

I'll get Yokohamas ES 100 245/50 this year.
 

viperos

New Member
May 19, 2003
2,943
0
0
Bellevue, WA (yes, the land where every 16 year o
Mar 6, 2004
#10
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #10
Yokohomas are good all around tire, but the tread wear really sucks... my bro bought his at the same time as I got mine... I drive more, raced more, and he is needing new tires now because the tread is amost illegal! I still have like 7/32 left!
 

swingline

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
1,252
0
0
TCB - Taking Care of Business
Mar 6, 2004
#11
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #11
I have Kumho Ecsta's and they have served me well. The traction isn't bad considering they are on a 18" tire. I will probably go with some Nitto DR in the back and either Kumho MX's or BFG KDW's up front next time.
 

95snoozer

Active Member
Dec 14, 2002
2,572
1
48
RCR
Mar 6, 2004
#12
  • Mar 6, 2004
  • #12
if you are not getting the 555Rs... which I suggest,

get teh phantom ZRX tires

I have had mine for over 27 K miles and they have at least 50% left

I also pulled consistant 2.0 60s on them at around 25 pounds in the rears
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
406
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Fox Xtremely high fuel consumption
  • PonyGTrider
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 9 10 11
Replies
213
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 9, 2026
PonyGTrider
O
Good all around perfornace-ish tires?
  • optionizerSS
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
426
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 15, 2026
TPony
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
360
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?