C4 shift lever

stangbuilder66

Dec 6, 2004
Would it be possible for someone to snap a picture of their C4 shift lever, the one that is on the actual transmission? I just got my C4 today and it is all wrong. The guy told me it was out of a mustang, but it is setup for a column shift so I have to flip the assembly around, no biggie but unexpected. I don't know what happened originally, but it has what looks to be a B&M lever on it. Behind the aftermarket (screw tightened) lever, there is another flat piece of metal that looks to have been cut off, no idea WHAT that might have been. This is my first C4. Also on the same stud coming out of the tranny there is another bar that comes up that is spring loaded and I can click down (turn counter clockwise) about 1/4 inch. Is that my kickdown? If so it is going the wrong way to be able to hook a cable up to my accelerator pedal (but should flip around when I flip the whole lever over). I am gonna try to get a picutre snapped tonight and post on here so you guys know what I am tlalking about, but in the mean time if anyone has a picture of theirs or knows of a picture out on the web and can link it I would appreciate it.

As far as what I have, the number stamped on the transmission case is D4DP 7006AA, so it looks like a 74 Falcon C4.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

This is the best I could do.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The transmission is back in the car now.

perfect Gbarber! Thanks. The lever that I have on mine is much shorter than that, which means that the geometry will be off a bit, but I can weld a extension on to make the bar longer if I need, or find one at a junk yard. It looks to me like there is a long lever closest to the tranny, then the nuetral switch in front of that and the kickdown lever in front of that? Should work out.

As for the other guy, you are right, the lever is pointing down and should be up. But I am gonna drop the pan tomorrow, pull out the valve body, loosen the retainer nut and pull out the lever, flip it 180 degrees, put it back and re-install all the other stuff. Anything else I should know about? I think that is all it takes, doesn't sound too tough...I'll let you know :)

Yes, the kickdown lever is the short one, going up, in front of the neutral safety switch. The longer one, behind the switch, just in front of the FoMoCo label, is the shifter lever.
I tried to reach up under the car last night to get a better picture, but I couldn't squeeze between the header and the tranny.

If you pull the pan and valvebody, you can swap the arms out. I don't remember the issue with the kick down lever. Either you have to swap only one, or swap them as a set. Not a big deal, just make sure the KD lever fits right before bolting it all up.