Calypso Coral....the jams are done!

70coupe302

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
I finally got to see the color, they just got done with the jams and are going to paint the whole car next weekend...i have been waiting over 4 months! :banana:

so what do you guys think, btw its gonna have a black vinyl top

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Jimmah said:
It's nice but now your gonna have tape marks in the jams. Better to have painted the body as a whole w/everything that can be taken off and painted off the car
Look at where he taped them off, right at the break between body and jamb. When he's done a bit of color sanding and buffing will totally hide any lines. Not only that, but if the doors are sprayed off the car, it greatly increases the likelyhood of an unintentional two-tone, especially if he were using a metallic or pearl color. Also, for anyone spraying the main body and wanting to keep overspray out of the jamb check out the new foam rope tape by 3M for doing just that, it's really slick stuff and wont leave a "hard" tape line.

zookeeper said:
Look at where he taped them off, right at the break between body and jamb. When he's done a bit of color sanding and buffing will totally hide any lines. Not only that, but if the doors are sprayed off the car, it greatly increases the likelyhood of an unintentional two-tone, especially if he were using a metallic or pearl color. Also, for anyone spraying the main body and wanting to keep overspray out of the jamb check out the new foam rope tape by 3M for doing just that, it's really slick stuff and wont leave a "hard" tape line.

Have you ever used Dart Tape??? That's what I'm talking about leaving a line in the jams. It always leaves a hard line. I do this day in and day out at a auto body shop. And if you mix a gallon of color which is usually best when your doing a full paint like this, the color isn't going to be different. The only problem would be if the painter doesn't lay the metallics out flat and it will look blochy.

Sorry, but I still disagree, even though I'm not a professional painter. I've simply seen too many cars where the hood or doors don't match due to being painted at different times. Again, these have all been metallic or pearl paints, and I'd bet money they were the painters fault, I don't feel the risk is worth it. My opinion (probably wrong) is that the doors were most likely painted lying down, instead of hanging as they would have on the car, which would lead to the metallic looking diferently when exposed to light. Also, I've never used dart tape, but if you know it leaves a hard line, why continue to use it? At least try back-taping with regular 3/4 inch tape to soften the line.

I may be wrong, but I thought the man reason for colors coming out different (when sprayed at different times) isn't the fact that they are diferent batches, but because they are layed down in differeing thicknesses.

Back on topic: I think the color looks great :nice:

calypso coral paint

70coupe302 i .... noticed in a thread search you painted your car calypso coral.... how did you arrive at the correct color .. .and ... i would love to see pics ... the pics no longer show up in the original post.

thanks for your time....
wc