Engine Cam Advance Advise

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
New timing chain set is in the mail. Has the ability to to +-4 degree on the camshaft timing. Has anyone ever had any experience with this? If there is more power in my engine, I'd like to get it out. I just have the basic bolts-ons and GT40p heads. Stock cam, rockers, bottom end, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't mess with it. Install it straight up and degree the cam and call it a day. Advancing it 4 degrees might give you some more low-end torque, and might lower the RPM peak torque happens at.

If you have 3.73's, you might not really need that. Really, this is a question that requires understanding your total combo and what your goals are. Even then, telling you if advancing it is worth it is a shot in the dark. The stock HO cam already makes decent torque down low.

With an aftermarket timing chain set, i would definitely degree the cam even if it is stock

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a cam card for the cam? Cam cards come with cams and give the exact specs of the grind. Some cam grinds have advance already ground in. The cam card will tell that.