cam gurus help me choose..I'm down to 3!

dbizzay

Apr 14, 2003
Surrey
OK, I have my cam selection narrowed down to three. The car is a 1990 coupe, ported E7's, ported stock intake, 65mm TB, 73MM MAF, 5 spd, 3.90 gears.

Comp Cams XE266-HR

Advertised Duration 264/270
Duration @ .050" 212/218
Valve Lift .512/.512
LSA 114 deg

vs

TFS Stage 1

Advertised Duration (Degrees): 275 intake/279 exhaust
Duration at .050 in. Lift (Degrees): 221 intake/225 exhaust
Lift with 1.6 Rocker Arms: .499 in. intake/.510 in. exhaust
Lobe Separation (Degrees): 112

vs

Speed Pro

Advertised duration: 289 intake/289 exhaust
Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 212 intake/222 exhaust
Gross valve lift: .493 in. intake/.510 exhaust
Lobe separation: 112 degrees

Prices are similar on all, only difference is that the XE266HR is used.

Lets here what you guys think

Derek

• Sponsors (?)

just buy the comp cam new - why get a used part that is such a crucial part - even new it cant be more than 225-250 - and how much are you getting it for? If your saying they are similar in price, well the TFS S1 cam goes for about 200 bucks - so whats an extra 25 or 30 bucks?

IMO you should always buy new ****!!!!!!!!!!! I dont trust anybody ever anywhere unless you are on this site and have over 2000 posts lol
Paul Perreca

TFS and E cam are very similar, -- actually with your set up, having stock heads (ported) and a mild set up, your best bet would probably be a mild cam, .512 MAY be a little high lift, wait for the gurus of the site to help you -

Example - At atco, guy w/ 5.0 had edelbrock heads and F cam (.512 lift) only had 1.6 roller rockers - car flew - dont know if .512 would be too much

Paul Perreca

I am a fan on split duration cams. Therfore, i would get the stage 1. however, it seems that the speedpro is a slightly more agressive version and might give ya a tad bit more performance.

Paul Perreca said:
Example - At atco, guy w/ 5.0 had edelbrock heads and F cam (.512 lift) only had 1.6 roller rockers - car flew - dont know if .512 would be too much

Paul Perreca

there is more to a cam than lift. the duration is a big key too. i would NOT worry about using an F cam and stock style heads as long as the P/V clearence was OK. I bet that it would be really strong up to like 5800 rpms (depending on heads/intake).

To be honest, I'd tell you to keep the stock cam until you upgrade your heads/intake. If you do buy one, I'd say go with the TFS-1 if you plan to stick with your current heads/intake for a while. Otherwise, I'd go after the comp grind.

As someone else stated, I'd feel a lot better buying a cam new. Granted, it's really hard to injure a roller cam, but I personally wouldn't take the risk.