Cam install questions

I am getting ready to install my cams in my car as well as a set of valve springs. I have the heads off the car. One question I have is I have seen it both ways where people have reused the old timing chains and where they have been replaced. What are your reccomendations on this matter? Also I don't have adjustable cam gears. Are they needed to get the timing correct on the car or can I just roll with the stock cam gears? Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO, if you're that far into it, replace the chains, guides and tensioner arms. A Trickflow timing chain for the 2V from Summit (TFS-51800501) is $30 a pop (you'd need 2). You can get a set of arms and guides from Summit for $99 (TFS-51800507).

For $160 you've got peace of mind in knowing that the guides, chains and tensioner arms are all fresh. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

How many miles on the car? FWIW, you can buy new chains and guides from Summit Racing for only $160. To me $160 is good insurance. I'd rather not install new cams and 6-12 months later find out that one of my guides/chains failed wrecking my oil pump and bending a valve.

I'll be installing a set of cams in my car soon as well, and since I'll already have the chains off I figured I may as well replace both the guides and chains. As far as adjustable cam gears, they aren't necessary. You can get about 2* of adjustment out of the stock gears and TFS sells an adjustable crank gear if the cams and stock gears are more than 2* out of spec.

Check out the following articles they may provide more insight to your project.

ModularHeadShop article on cam installation

ModularHeadShop Articles on Cam degree

ModularHeadShop Articles on TFS adjustable crank gears

Finally, MHS offers a cam degree service if you provide the gears and cams for only $129. Then if you need the TFS adjustable crank gears MHS sells them for only $50. Just a thought it may save you some time and make the install easier.

ModularHeadShop Articles on Cam gears

Well this motor supposedly has 70k on it. Now I won't know that until I get the heads off. As far as the guides I don't really know how they can go bad. I know they can get worn but I am not sure they would need replaced. I can see maybe the tensioners needing replaced and the chains I can also see needing replaced as they will strech but I know not everyone does replace chains do they? I do think for the 60 bucks for the chains I will go ahead and replace them but probably reuse the guides. I also have a set of tensioners that I know are in good shape. Anyone got some insight on how to properly time the 4.6 sohc engines?

Well this motor supposedly has 70k on it. Now I won't know that until I get the heads off. As far as the guides I don't really know how they can go bad. I know they can get worn but I am not sure they would need replaced. I can see maybe the tensioners needing replaced and the chains I can also see needing replaced as they will strech but I know not everyone does replace chains do they? I do think for the 60 bucks for the chains I will go ahead and replace them but probably reuse the guides. I also have a set of tensioners that I know are in good shape. Anyone got some insight on how to properly time the 4.6 sohc engines?

There are people running mod motors w/ 200K+ miles that haven't had to replace the guides nor the chains. There have also been people that have had chain guides break that have wrecked the oil pump.

I guess I'd rather not take any chances and just replace it all since I'll be in there anyways. $160 is f'n pocket change in this day and age anyways :shrug: