Cam Phaser issue 2012 Mustang GT VCT

Torque South

Sep 5, 2020
USA
I have searched and read 2 pages worth of thread topics and learned a lot about stiff springs causing issues as well as VCT deletes.

However my issue is on a stock cams and stock springs 5.0.

I had the crankshaft balanced and the heads ported, since it spun a bearing due to an oiling issue and I was upgrading the oil pump.

During re-assembly I decided to replace all four phaser actuators, just since they were not that expensive and I had them out anyway.

The stock harness connectors did not fit the upgraded design (VIN correct) actuators so I had to splice in adapters recommended by the local Ford dealer parts department. I think I did a very decent job with the connections.

The car started right up as all is well mechanically except all four phasers are setting codes, and since the electronic valve timing is off, the car is running rough and it turns over a few times before starting.

Is there a sort of re-set / programming / calibration that needs to be done due to replacing the actuators and rebuilding the engine??

• Sponsors (?)

I have searched and read 2 pages worth of thread topics and learned a lot about stiff springs causing issues as well as VCT deletes.

However my issue is on a stock cams and stock springs 5.0.

I had the crankshaft balanced and the heads ported, since it spun a bearing due to an oiling issue and I was upgrading the oil pump.

During re-assembly I decided to replace all four phaser actuators, just since they were not that expensive and I had them out anyway.

The stock harness connectors did not fit the upgraded design (VIN correct) actuators so I had to splice in adapters recommended by the local Ford dealer parts department. I think I did a very decent job with the connections.

The car started right up as all is well mechanically except all four phasers are setting codes, and since the electronic valve timing is off, the car is running rough and it turns over a few times before starting.

Is there a sort of re-set / programming / calibration that needs to be done due to replacing the actuators and rebuilding the engine??
Are you getting a crank/cam correlation code?

If so, you can usually perform a relearn with a bi-directional scan tool (I know my SnapOn Solus Edge does it).

Are you getting a crank/cam correlation code?

If so, you can usually perform a relearn with a bi-directional scan tool (I know my SnapOn Solus Edge does it).

No correlation codes.
Correction they are Camshaft Position Sensor codes. Could anything in overhauling the engine and replacing the phasers and actuators cause Position Sensor codes -OR-
is it going to be an issue isolated to the sensors themselves and their connections?

(They can only go into the correct holes in the back of the head, different sizes and dark is exhaust/light is intake and connectors only reach and plug in one way)

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 1
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent Bank 1
P0335 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 2
P0349 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent Bank 2
P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Bank 1
P0390 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Bank 2
P0394 Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent Bank 2

I heard on older cars it could even be the alternator...??

It could, but the fact that you're getting both sensors on both banks means it's more than likely a timing issue. If that chain is off by one tooth anywhere, the car won't run correctly and you'll throw either correlation or CMP codes. You can try running the re-learn for camshaft position and see if that fixes it (it could, fresh phasers are always going to be in a different starting position than the originals, sometimes even putting the originals back will see them out of position slightly), but if it doesn't, you're more than likely going to be taking the timing cover back off.

It could, but the fact that you're getting both sensors on both banks means it's more than likely a timing issue. If that chain is off by one tooth anywhere, the car won't run correctly and you'll throw either correlation or CMP codes. You can try running the re-learn for camshaft position and see if that fixes it (it could, fresh phasers are always going to be in a different starting position than the originals, sometimes even putting the originals back will see them out of position slightly), but if it doesn't, you're more than likely going to be taking the timing cover back off.

Thank you for that valuable reply!! It makes 100% sense