Can get March ram air kit free, worth it?

My buddy has a march ram air kit that he is not using anymore(got a vortech). He said I could have it if I wanted, but I wasn't sure whether it would be worth it to put on. Right now I have a flat k&n drop in panel filter with the air silencer removed. The kit is the scoop that goes under the front bumper cover. http://www.marchperformance.com/pg29.html (down at bottom) I know it will provide denser, colder air, which will result in an increase in hp once I get going a little. I just read the post about cold air intakes, and the article Mike provided showed that they gained 2 tenths and 3mph in the quarter with a ram air kit. Granted it is not the same kit, but it could have similar results.

The only thing that is holding me back right now is the scoop under the bumper. Won't it suck up everything on the road? What about when it rains? Will it have enough of a ram effect that it will suck the rain all the way up to the filter? I know I have to screw into my bumper cover, but it's a little messed up anyway, so that's no big deal.

What do you guys think about these kits? yay or nay.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

for a free kit though i would most definetly take it. I mean nice little hp and torque gain so why not? But i was thinking the same thing you were about picking up all the road debris and i truly dont know if it would pick it up or not.

I had made a ghetto version of it, and it hurt my performance, it directs air in a small tube, to the air box, and well IMO it hurt it since only so much can get, rather than a stock box that can suck all it wants for the hole in the Fender...just my .$02

FiveOhhStang said:
I had made a ghetto version of it, and it hurt my performance, it directs air in a small tube, to the air box, and well IMO it hurt it since only so much can get, rather than a stock box that can suck all it wants for the hole in the Fender...just my .$02

True...plus you don't want it sucking up leaves, water, etc...but you can't beat free :nice:

David

I agree, there is nothing better then free stuff!

FiveOhhStang: If you think about it, it can still suck all the air it wants if it is just sitting there, it just pushes more air into when you start moving faster. It will still suck all the air it wants out of that hole, it just comes through the scoop and tube instead of inside the fenderwell.

You guys don't think it will help at all? I would have figured it would at least help with my car moving. I don't know. Keep the replies coming, any input is helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Id grab it and use the scoop. Did your friend use and it and did he have any promblems with it?
Just watch out for deep puddles and keep an eye on your air filter.

I have the March Kit on my '94. It does pick up all kinds of crap from the road, so you have to keep an eye on the air filter and clean it more often. As far as power, I dunno, it's not really an item you can get a dyno reading on. I have noticed that throttle response seems better from about 30-40 mph upward. My car sees mostly highway duty, other than the extra debris in the filter box, and making sure not to park too close to a curb, I haven't had any adverse effects. Though we don't have snow in Florida so I guess that could be an issue for you.

I got one of these a few months ago. I had the same setup that you have now. It definately felt a little stronger, but my biggest problem is that I think I mounted it in the wrong place. It seems to be hanging down really low (although I do have the bumper support beam removed). Anyone have any good shots of how their installation looks? Thanks.

I have the kit too, and at the least I would use it just for the airbox since it will allow you to use a bigger K&N (same info given above). As for mounting, I took out my fog lights since I'm not such a big fan of those (and the extra weight coming out was a bonus) and ran the tubing to the location of the fog light. I NEVER get any debris coming up and I never been in a puddle deep enough to submerge my front end that much. I also added some wire mesh on the opening to trap any debris that may go up there but theres never anything there.

I'd take it and then sell it (don't tell your buddy)

I have a BBK fenderwell setup. WHat i did was make a system to dump cold air into the fender. I did NOT directly connect the tubing to the air filter. I am sort of directing the cold air up and into the fender. That way if anything gets sucked up, it will just float into the fender and fall down. My thinking is to just keep fresh cool air going into the fender

i had the stock airbox in my car and i noticed a big gain when i put my march on i think its the conacal filter that makes the most difference though. i would try it out cause its free and you can always take it off. i didnt have any problems with water coming into my airbox but i had a couple leaves in it once, if you put the scoop on just watch out for big puddles(stating the obvious).

What about if I put wire mesh in around the scoop itself? I think that would probably work pretty well. I avoid puddles enough as it is right now, so I don't really have to worry about that. I remember seeing something about one of the ferrari's that has a ram air hood scoop. It said something like at 100mph it gains about 10hp because of it. That would be pretty cool. Anyway, keep the responses coming with anyone that has experience with the kit.

Chris

ALL FREE stuff is worth it, get it, if u dont like, sell it...maybe u can put teh scoop in teh air damn area on teh bumper and no under it??? and definitely use some kinda wire mesh with big holes, just enought to keep out leaves and the big stuff.

I'm definitely going to take it and try it out. I wouldn't try to make any money off of it, I would give it back to him to sell it. I just wanted to see if you guys had any good/bad stories about it. I am going to do the wire mesh stuff on it, and maybe see about mounting it in a better spot. I love free stuff.

Chris

If it is free it cant be all bad. Try it use the best parts and throw away what U dont need. I would love to have that scoop and airbox but I just dont think it makes that much difference to pay good money for them. I also heard that very low speed runs are hurt cause the air must run a longer way to the TB and at about 40 mph that is compensated by the ram air effect! I would put in a wire mesh for leaves and maybe even a little hole or two at lowest point in the tubing to let water out!!

87gtconv said:
If it is free it cant be all bad. Try it use the best parts and throw away what U dont need. I would love to have that scoop and airbox but I just dont think it makes that much difference to pay good money for them. I also heard that very low speed runs are hurt cause the air must run a longer way to the TB and at about 40 mph that is compensated by the ram air effect! I would put in a wire mesh for leaves and maybe even a little hole or two at lowest point in the tubing to let water out!!

I thought about putting a hole in it for the water. Would this ruin any of the ramming effect? Would the incoming air try to escape from the holes there? I don't know, I'll see how it turns out, and let you guys know.

Chris