• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Can I convert to manual brakes

  • Thread starter Thread starter revhead347
  • Start date Start date Aug 6, 2004

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 6, 2004
#1
  • Aug 6, 2004
  • #1
My motor only sucks 9" of vacuum at idle, and even with 2 reservoirs I have brake troubles sometimes. Can I switch to manual brakes and still maintain my ABS. I can't afford to put a vacuum pump in yet.

Kurt
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 7, 2004
#2
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #2
TTT
 
T

Touring23

Founding Member
Dec 29, 2001
294
0
0
Washington
Aug 8, 2004
#3
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #3
I'm thinking what's needed is a larger piston in the master cylinder or more leverage at the pedal, assuming you've done the basics like bleeding the system and installed a quality set of pads. Note if you're using NoiseStop or PrettyWheel brake pads you're not getting maximum brake force.
ABS shouldn't come into question, I don't reckon. All it's interested in is the brake line pressure, it doesn't care how that pressure is created.
It's a neat question. I hope you can get more discussion going. Good luck.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 8, 2004
#4
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #4
Actually, I have a set of Hawk brake pads from Steeda. I have a vacuum gauge hooked up to my reservoirs. If I have 16" of vacuum, then the brakes work great. But if it drops down to 9", then they don't work so well. I know that they make manual brake conversions for older fox stangs. You pretty much just change the master cylinder. In theory, it should work the same on an ABS car.

Kurt
 
T

Touring23

Founding Member
Dec 29, 2001
294
0
0
Washington
Aug 9, 2004
#5
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #5
Yup I agree. I'm wondering if Wilwood, SSB, et cetera would have a manual master cylinder...?
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 9, 2004
#6
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #6
I'll have to call Wilwood one of these days.

Kurt
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

J
Emission problems
  • jls.zmmr
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
298
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Feb 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
For Sale MASTER LISTING: Abandoned '66 Mustang Restomod Part-Out (Wilwood, Ididit, Quick Performance, Mishimoto)
  • JasonB66
  • Jul 23, 2026
  • Suspension
Replies
0
Views
238
Suspension Jul 23, 2026
JasonB66
J
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
96 GT 4.6 w/ dirty spark plug well
  • Mustang Momma
  • Apr 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
175
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Apr 9, 2026
LILCBRA
L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
319
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?