Can I put a 99+ GT engine in a 1997 GT (Threw a rod bearing)

Capt. Shockwave

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2002
San Diego
Heller Ford in Escondido, Ca said it would run me $5000+ dollars to fix my brothers GT (he threw a rod bearing) Now he wants to buy this 99 GT engine on Ebay with 0 miles on it. Will the new GT engine bolt right up?

• Sponsors (?)

Capt. Shockwave said:
Heller Ford in Escondido, Ca said it would run me $5000+ dollars to fix my brothers GT (he threw a rod bearing) Now he wants to buy this 99 GT engine on Ebay with 0 miles on it. Will the new GT engine bolt right up?

Why yes you can. I am just finnishing up my 96 to 2002 motor swap. There are a few things you will need to remember.
1.) 99+ cars are returnless fuel systems so you will need to put you 97 fuel rails on
2.) my 96 car's oil pan had a level sensor so I had to swap over pans
3.) the bolts on the 99+ headers are different than the 96-98 so if you get headers with the motor you will need to swap over your 97 headers.
4.) the a/c pump line hook-ups are different so you will have to change over your a/c compressor if the 99 motor comes with it (proablly won't)

If you have any questions let me know.

Makalani_96GT said:
Why yes you can. I am just finnishing up my 96 to 2002 motor swap. There are a few things you will need to remember.
1.) 99+ cars are returnless fuel systems so you will need to put you 97 fuel rails on
2.) my 96 car's oil pan had a level sensor so I had to swap over pans
3.) the bolts on the 99+ headers are different than the 96-98 so if you get headers with the motor you will need to swap over your 97 headers.
4.) the a/c pump line hook-ups are different so you will have to change over your a/c compressor if the 99 motor comes with it (proablly won't)

If you have any questions let me know.

What about the coil packs. You aren't running C.O.P. are you?

RedGTvert said:
What about the coil packs. You aren't running C.O.P. are you?

Yea I forgot about the C.O.P.'s but you use the coil packs from the 97 they work fine you just have to swap out the drivers side bracket where the power steering reservoir is with the one from the 97. now the passenger side you have to modify the bracket a little.