Can I remove the Speed Sensor for more SPEED ? ( No speed=no limiter, right?)

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
4.56 gear.
Well i need more speed than 68mph going downhill and i rather spend my money on other parts such as o2 sensors (because the fronts are reading .9volts. Still has that 1st and second gear torque for sure though.)

SO..

with that being said ,
I should be able to just unhook the V.S.S. , tuck it away, and have unlimited speed, yes?

Or does the drive gear inside the transmission still put out a speed signal ?

• Sponsors (?)

The 98 GT(I guess that is what you have)didn't have a speed limiter unless it came with the lower rated tires and I understand it can be taken out easily in a tune. Wait that is only top speed that is limited, the rev limiter maybe you are talking about?

You're probably not running into any kind of speed limiter at all. More likely you're running out of fuel, spark, or cam.

Where are all the particulars of the build?

(I really should request a username change)
It's a '95 3.8 v6
All it has on it as of now is 4.56 gear and stock tire. In 4th i can hit top speed (which registers as 112mph on the dash but is really 68-ish) The RPM doesn't go past 3k in 5th.
My front o2 sensors do need replacing. They register .9v at all times and the exhaust tip is shiny black. That's a 29.4:1 Fuel/Air, yeah?

I can still try it. i just removed the VSS sensor for the driven gear. Will have a GPS speedometer on the phone.

EDIT: They register a .09 . Not a .9. I dont thik the car would run with a .9 , i dont know. Exhaust tip still has fuel coming out. (no CatVerters.) The o2 HEATER CIRCUIT is acting up.

Last edited:
So i just did my test.
Disconnected the Vehicle Speed Sensor... did the run.. and ..
went from 68mph to 89mph at around 4100rpm.
I wasn't comfortable going any faster without any handling modifications.

--
Running side-pipes, no cats, and a high-rev mis-shift into second..haha.. *WHOOF- pop, pop-pop-pop* haha. (exhaust afterfire)
My car is on the rich side. i may put in hotter plugs. I'm already 1step hotter i may need to go 2 more steps. and possibly not get NGK plugs either.
Or just turbo at 5psi to even things out.