can i use stock MAF sensor in a Pro-M meter?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
i am running a C&L meter now with the replaceable sampling tubes, its running the 19lb tube and i am using the ford factory MAF sensor,

i got this Pro-M MAF intake kit in a deal last week and i was going to sell it but i i may consider using it, the Pro-M sensor installed in it now is for 36#ers,

can i just take that out and run the stock sensor in the Pro-M meter??

i took my stock sensor out and it looks the same as the PRO_M one, it fits right into place on the pro-m meter.

heres a pic of the kit
pic1095.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I might not understand exactly what you're doing but:

Unless the PRO M housing is exactly the same as the stock housing dimensionally, there would be issues. Chances are the Pro M housing is bigger than stock and could lead to a lean issue (flowing more air than presumed).

Good luck.

On my 90 I have a huge (i think 80mm) aftermarket meter housing with the stock sensor on it with 19#'s and I have no driveability problems.

So you have a sensor calibrated for a 55mm meter sitting in an 80mm housing? Just because an issue is not apparent to you doesn't mean this is ok (by any means). I don't care much what someone does to their own car, but will say something when others might follow the same path. This is not something I'd mimic myself.

Again, it was not a personal attack but I do feel this is not something we should condone.

Well put JT!

If 68stang351 has a C&L meter, then that should be the correct MAS. C&L meters use the stock (for your vehicle/ecu) MAS sensors in the larger C&L tube. The C&L meter is 'calibrated' by changing a small sample tube in the MAF assy.

PMAS does not do this, so putting a stock MAS in a PMAS meter would hose up the entire calibration. A PMAS meter is calibrated electronically. The sensor cannot be swapped out.

foxfan88-
You cannot put the stock sensor in the PMAS meter. Each PMAS tube is calibrated for its sensor.

Hope that makes things more understandable,
jason

Hey thats fine. Think what you want. My car runs fine. It doesn't even throw a check engine light.

No one is saying that your setup is wrong, as you haven't given enough info to make that assertion.

However, for you to tell the OP that it is ok for him to stick a stock MAS in a PMAS meter IS wrong.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I apologize if I seem rude.

But most likely you are using an 80mm C&L, which is completely different from the OP's PMAS.

MAF meters are confusing enough as it is. We need to make sure that MAF tech dished out in these threads is true.

jason

i knew that the size of the of the sampling tube related to the throat of the meter was critcal i didnt think about that till after i posted
lol

so does anyone want to buy that stuff in the pic in my original post??? i'll go 175$ shipped and i can do paypal.

68stang351, Jason summed up my thoughts and sentiments nicely. I also did not mean to sound rude (Jason caught something I didnt - I never considered that you could even be talking about a C&L set-up. Once I saw FF's Pro M picture, I zoned in on that and a stock MAF/MAS marriage).

There are myriad combos that might *seem* to do ok, but they are not right. Awhile back I was playing around with meters and such a hybrid as has been suggested here (though not to such an extreme). I consulted with Jason and after his wise words, chose to undo what I had done (the car ran fine but on paper, it *wasn't right*).

Anyhow, there are set-ups that seemingly work ok (to our ears and butts) but blatently don't if datalogged or transfer curves are examined. This makes it tough for *know* what will work experimentally (alone). It certainly wasn't a jab of any sort.