Can someone explain to me how my car is still alive after 2-->1 shift???

190hpkilla

Mar 10, 2004
:(

So I went to the track today.

The track was *****. I ran a 14.4 all stock on a 99 Vert GT with a 2.1 60 foot and 96 trap. At least I have room to improve!

On the last run I was WOT in 2nd. When it was time to shift into 3rd the car felt like i hit the brakes. (I guess I shifted into 1st) I reacted very fast and depressed the clutch. I slowly drove across the finish line with thoughts of where am I going to get the money for a blown motor/tranny/clutch.

But to my surprise the car is good. I’m so glad. This never happened to me before so I feel so bad for the car now. I hope its going to be fine.

Did this happen to anyone before?

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

The car is good, but it probably wont be for long. You probably just weakening the gears VERY badly by that. Meaning, you probably shorten the life span of the gear. How long? Who knows but dont be surprised if it happens soon :(

I did the same thing when I first got my car but it was from 3rd to 2nd. I was entering the highway and I had one of my friends with me so I decided to show off...... I know stupid, anyway I stood on it when I was in second jammed it into third and when I was about to shift into fourth but I managed to go into second and the car started to shake and bouce really bad, I then imeditaly took it out of second and put into fourth.

That was about a year ago and it still runs awesome!!

were you at the end of 2nd gear? meaning like 70 mph? im glad to hear that its okay. which would happen first tho, over reving the engine (meaning going past the rev limter) im thinking this could occur since your going from a high speed, to a rpm is above the redline in 1st gear. (which is like 25/30 mph?), or the rear tires just breaking lose or skidding?
ive done a 2nd-1st once but it was only at like 30, and i was lucky in that i just barely began to slip the clutch.
scary stuff, and i wont, and havent let it happen again.
Mike

A guy from Florida (you know the ones that can't drive) cut me off to pass another car. As he crawls past the car in the right lane I finally see an opening. I shift to 3rd at about 70 and get in the right lane to pass this guy. He's still cruising at 70. Well as I go to pass him he starts coming into my lane. As he does so I pull to the right to avoid a sideswipe and when I did I was shifting to 4th but instead hit 2nd. It didn't go into gear so I thought I had missed 4th so I pressed the clutch back all the way in and pulled down, when I did and slowly let the clutch out the nose dived so I pushed the clutch in and shifted to 4th....too bad it hit 7k RPM.. Don't think it did anything.

Mustang98GTMI said:
I did the same thing when I first got my car but it was from 3rd to 2nd. I was entering the highway and I had one of my friends with me so I decided to show off...... I know stupid, anyway I stood on it when I was in second jammed it into third and when I was about to shift into fourth but I managed to go into second and the car started to shake and bouce really bad, I then imeditaly took it out of second and put into fourth.

That was about a year ago and it still runs awesome!!

I've done the same exact thing about 2 years ago and my car runs great. Chirped the tires for a second and I thought the world was coming to an end, but it didn't. Don't worry, if your car feels fine then don't worry, just don't do it too many more times. Another thing is how long it was left in second with the throttle mashed before depressing the clutch again.

merc123 said:
A guy from Florida (you know the ones that can't drive) cut me off to pass another car.
Ummm, so nobody in Florida can drive? Care to meet me at a stop light?
You must be referring to, what we call, a q-tip, blue hair or, aka, an old fart. These people are everywhere, not just in FL. OK, I know there are a bunch of 'em down here, but most aren't natives of FL - (in fact alot of them don't even live here year round), so, where do you think they came from...up north! :lol:

twogts4us said:
Ummm, so nobody in Florida can drive? Care to meet me at a stop light?
You must be referring to, what we call, a q-tip, blue hair or, aka, an old fart. These people are everywhere, not just in FL. OK, I know there are a bunch of 'em down here, but most aren't natives of FL - (in fact alot of them don't even live here year round), so, where do you think they came from...up north! :lol:

No, everyone from Florida that comes to GA can't drive worth a flip :)

They are constantly cutting people off, weaving and being just a general dumbass....

Are you sure you put it into first? Did you maybe just not fully put it into 3rd?? I would think you would have to SLAMMMMM it to get it into first at that speed. I've dropped it into first going about 30 a couple times, it's fun ehehehhehe.

BullittStangV8 said:
were you at the end of 2nd gear? meaning like 70 mph? im glad to hear that its okay. which would happen first tho, over reving the engine (meaning going past the rev limter) im thinking this could occur since your going from a high speed, to a rpm is above the redline in 1st gear. (which is like 25/30 mph?), or the rear tires just breaking lose or skidding?
ive done a 2nd-1st once but it was only at like 30, and i was lucky in that i just barely began to slip the clutch.
scary stuff, and i wont, and havent let it happen again.
Mike

Now that Im recreating the scene, I missed 3rd and tried again. This is when the nose dived in and the tires barked.

Does the mustang have a rev limiter?
What is the ideal RPM range to shift? (99 GT)

merc123 said:
No, everyone from Florida that comes to GA can't drive worth a flip :)

They are constantly cutting people off, weaving and being just a general dumbass....
OK, we'll stay down here. Who wants to go to GA anyway? The only time I've been there is passing thru on I-95 (and you know you're in GA when you smell the Georgia Pacific Paper Mills - smells like diarrhea). :puke:

I think the rev limiter is 6k isn't it? If you just floored it out of gear you should be fine because then it wouldn't go over the limiter. If you dropped into 1st going 60 then the limiter can't help. I did the miss gear, rev way up thing a couple of times on accident.