Can someone tell me which fuse is igntion hot on original fuse box?

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
Pretty simple, I've got a 67 that I'm adding alot of electronic components so I'm adding in a new fusebox to accomodate the new gizmos. The new fuse box has one lead that goes to the old fuse box to provide switched power. Right now I have nothing in the car, no battery, no engine, no electrics so I can't test the fuse box to see where I have switched power without a whole lot of hassle. So I was hoping one of you, with the picture provided below could tell me which fuse is switched power and which side is the hot side.

60447d1233583878-1965-mustang-fuse-panel-fuse-box-diagram-66-fuse-box.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If you're unsure of that then the back of the ignition switch is the perfect place for a switched ignition source.

+1

You are not going to put that fuse box back in your car are you?

If you are putting a new fuse box in, then I would plan for incorporating the circuits from the old box. That way you can get rid a a potential source of problems.

The threaded spike sticking out the back of the ignition switch on 64-67 Mustangs was commonly used by Ford for accessories, such as under-dash AC, dealer installed radios, etc. It comes off the accy circuit, so it operates in the ign or accy position. It is not protected, so it requires an inline or remote fuse or circuit breaker.

I don't think he's using it to draw power. I think he's using it kind of like a relay wherein when the accessory voltage is flowing it "trips" the new fuse box on which draws the 12v from the battery.

That would at least be my guess because it would be too straining to run a whole fuse box off that small gauge of a wire.

golf4283
I don't think he's using it to draw power. I think he's using it kind of like a relay wherein when the accessory voltage is flowing it "trips" the new fuse box on which draws the 12v from the battery.

Why not ask?.... Hey Pyroman, what fusebox are you adding?

Sorry for the delay on this guys. I'm using this fusebox i got from Painless:

Painless Wiring 70207 - Painless Performance Cirkit Boss Auxiliary Fuse Blocks

The wire that would run from the old fusebox to the new one will provide switched power for 4 circuits on the new fusebox. It also connect to the positive lead on the battery to provide constant power for 3 other circuits. Since I'm adding an MSD setup, electric fan, 3G I thought it would be wise.

In regard to replacing the old fuse box, how much extra work would that involve? I'm up for it because it seems like the smart thing to do.

In regard to replacing the old fuse box, how much extra work would that involve? I'm up for it because it seems like the smart thing to do.

You could use something like this for only $15:

6_fuse_panel.jpg

You could run a 8 or 10 gauge wire from the solenoid or your 3G. I soldered the wires onto the tabs though. That eliminates any potential loose connections from the crimp and the slip on spade terminal.

Here is the auxilliary fuse box I added in my trunk next to my battery:

DSC08867.jpg

Enjoy your Memorial Day. :flag: