Car Bogs out when I make left turns

steveiguess

Dec 16, 2004
I have a 90 mustang 5.0 gt with a few mods (cold air, and flowmasters, 1.7 roller rockers) and everytime I take a left turn the motor boggs out, and runs ****ty until i go straight again, its got a tremec 5 speed in it, and it happens regardless of what gear i am in. It only does it with left turns. I took it to an auto center and they told me it was the "clock spring" for the airbag? I let them replace it and it still does it. Has anyone had this problem>? or any solution to it?
I thank you for your time

• Sponsors (?)

I think i have an idea of what your talkin about, im my 2.3 when i turn the corner(left or right) ill push the petal to the floor and its feels like im towing a taco truck for a couple of seconds then it will kick in and act normal again.

5LiterCOOP said:
My brother had the same problem in his 90 lx 5.0, every time he made a left turn, it would bog or stall. Turns out the baffles in his gas tank rusted and broke off and a piece would cover the pick up when he turned left

That sounds pretty reasonable, I was thinking along the same lines. Fuel pickup problem. Take you fist and bang on the bottom of the tank, see if you can hear anything rattle in there. Try to wiggle the car side to side in the rear end. Or better yet, have someone else do it while you listen under the car. You can try putting your ear up to the filler neck too. With the cap off of course, you can hear pretty good in there in a quiet area.

My Dad had a 66 stang and it would shut off once in a while, and not start unless you let it sit for a few minutes. We pulled the tank and found 2 rubber wiper blades in there. They had swollen to 10 times their original size and where cutting off fuel flow. Who knows how these things get in there.

jerry beach said:
My Dad had a 66 stang and it would shut off once in a while, and not start unless you let it sit for a few minutes. We pulled the tank and found 2 rubber wiper blades in there. They had swollen to 10 times their original size and where cutting off fuel flow. Who knows how these things get in there.

:scratch:

That's a new one.

i had a fuel injected vw rabbit gti and it would do that ,the tank was rusted and one of the baffles was gone,the car would shut off but it was stick so i would leave it in gear and just turn it straight and it would start back up.

My 88 5.0 had the same problem, but it would bogg if I made a right or left turn.
The problem was the little reservior that sits in the gas tank. Your fuel pump sits directly in it. Its purpose is to constantly keep th pump surrounded by fuel so that it never pulls in air. The problem is that there are only two minor tack welds that hold it in place and those offten come loose. When you go around a turn, the reservoir pushes up against the pump and cuts off fuel to the motor.

Try this: Fill up your gas tank all the way, and see if your car still boggs when you turn. My guess is that it won't.

I've seen it before, and with mine when that happened, it was an issue with the IAB valve. It wasn't allowing enough air in, and if I was off the gas and going through a turn apparrently the extra strain on the PS pump was enough to make it stall. I cleaned it and it was better, bought a new one and never had the issue again.

Not a fun thing to have happen!

jstang209 said:
how hard is to install/change an IAB valve?

It's actually really easy. It's that cylinder looking thing on the side of your throttle body. It's two bolts (I think 8mm) and an electrical connection. Be sure you don't tear ythe gasket when you takei t off or overtighten when you put it back on -- they like to crack sometimes.

I'd pull it off and spray it out good with some carb cleaner or something similar, get as much of the carbon out as possible -- then see if it changes at all. If it gets better, you can try cleaning it more or replace the IAB if you don't think you can get it clean enough or you suspect it's not working.

This is what did it for me -- still could be other things but it's a pretty easy thing to check.

89MustangGX said:
It's actually really easy. It's that cylinder looking thing on the side of your throttle body. It's two bolts (I think 8mm) and an electrical connection. Be sure you don't tear ythe gasket when you takei t off or overtighten when you put it back on -- they like to crack sometimes.

I'd pull it off and spray it out good with some carb cleaner or something similar, get as much of the carbon out as possible -- then see if it changes at all. If it gets better, you can try cleaning it more or replace the IAB if you don't think you can get it clean enough or you suspect it's not working.

This is what did it for me -- still could be other things but it's a pretty easy thing to check.
This is what my first instinct was as well. I've had the stalling thing when turning and like 89Mustang said, it's because of the increased pull the PS pump takes, which lowers idle.

Keep in mind if you get an aftermarket IAB (autozone, etc), you need to flip it upside down compared to the stock one for it to work correctly. I'll probably see how much Ford wants for a stock replacement...never did replace mine :nonono:

on other fords (smaller engines) there is a provision to increase the idle when the PS pump is under load (turning). on 5.0's there is not. Adam's suggestion sounds like a good one (there is still a load, but no provision to kick the revs up, so it can bog if the valve is not working properly from being dirty or malfunctioning).

not sure why it does not happen when turning right though. :shrug:

good luck.

TheUser said:
This is what my first instinct was as well. I've had the stalling thing when turning and like 89Mustang said, it's because of the increased pull the PS pump takes, which lowers idle.

Keep in mind if you get an aftermarket IAB (autozone, etc), you need to flip it upside down compared to the stock one for it to work correctly. I'll probably see how much Ford wants for a stock replacement...never did replace mine :nonono:

My car idled fine before I cleaned my IAC. I was bored one day and cleaned it and it was really dirty. Even since then my cold startup idle is anywhere between 1500-2000 RPM for the first 30 seconds. I even replaced it and it still does it. Beware of the IACs.

Try turning the wheel to left in the driveway at idle. does it stall then? If not the IAC is not the problem. If you cant reproduce it sitting still, it would seem to point towards inertia. That means fuel pickup in my mind. Did you try filling it up? that was a good suggestion too. Maybe inertia switch in the trunk, thats another thing you could bypass and rule out. I have seen them act up in fords. It has a reset button and is supposed to cut fuel pump power in an accident. Check your manual for location, you can bypass it with some wire and terminals stuck in the connector. Replace it if its bad, dont leave it that way.

jerry beach said:
Try turning the wheel to left in the driveway at idle. does it stall then? If not the IAC is not the problem. If you cant reproduce it sitting still, it would seem to point towards inertia.

I disagree. I put the IAB in the same category as TFI modules -- in that you can't always test them or get them to act the same twice no matter how many different things you try.

It's worth looking into even if it's not it, if the IAB has never been off it probably needs to be cleaned anyway.

89MustangGX said:
I disagree. I put the IAB in the same category as TFI modules -- in that you can't always test them or get them to act the same twice no matter how many different things you try.

It's worth looking into even if it's not it, if the IAB has never been off it probably needs to be cleaned anyway.

I agree with you on that point, however I was going on the statement that it only happens on left turns. Sounded like a repeatable problem to me, but I guess I was assuming a bit. Hopefully he will post back with the fix. If the clock spring is shorting on left turns as they told him, it will prolly be repeatable sitting still. I just dont see the IAB doing this if it always happens on left turns, it should be more random.

jerry beach said:
I agree with you on that point, however I was going on the statement that it only happens on left turns. Sounded like a repeatable problem to me, but I guess I was assuming a bit. Hopefully he will post back with the fix. If the clock spring is shorting on left turns as they told him, it will prolly be repeatable sitting still. I just dont see the IAB doing this if it always happens on left turns, it should be more random.

Point taken. I'm also assuming it doesn'thappen every time he turns left, and that it's just a coincidence -- otherwise he'd only be able to drive in circles. :D