Car cranks in gear with clutch out. clutch safety switch issue ?

I need some clarity on the clutch safety switch system on an 01 with t5. I need my car to not be able to start in gear with clutch out. Right now it will start in gear without the clutch depressed. Its kinda backwards from all the problems ive been searching so far it seems everyone posts their car wont start at all the switch is defective. But i literally cant get it to not crank while its in gear. Im thinking short or bypassed from previous owner ? I will admit hes was hack and ive spent several hours putting things back to normal, For example he tapped in to the wiper 12v ignt on for his stereo. Im also reading the neutral safety switch (on t5 itself) only talks to the ecm and not connected to the starter relay. So this should only be ignt to clutch safety to start relay ?

This was a v6 car if you need details but its Not anymore but the ecm and all relative systems were kept running

Reason I care is for tech inspection !

Thanks
Anthony.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Im also reading the neutral safety switch (on t5 itself) only talks to the ecm
For the 1999-2004 model year the NSS circuit does NOT interface to the PCM. It's an old school pilot duty circuit that goes to an old school starter relay.

It seems to me that either restore the clutch pedal position NSS switch to factory "style" or wire the Neutral safety circuit through the T5.

So you're saying that it'll start in gear, foot not on the clutch. Like the starter turning the engine over moves the car forward? As far as I know the 94-04 T5s don't have neutral safety switches, clutch safety switches only. If the car was an automatic before the fox drivetrain swap(5.0 with t5 I'm assuming), there is a two pin connector with a jumper wire above the drivers side kick panel. When I t5 swapped my 2000 v6 I had the same issue, just removed the jumper connector and it won't start without the clutch depressed. I'll provide you a picture. Also if the car was an auto and they swapped the pedal assembly, the clutch switch might be disconnected.

Attachments

• 20190819_233421.jpg
    20190819_233421.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 141
So you're saying that it'll start in gear, foot not on the clutch. Like the starter turning the engine over moves the car forward? As far as I know the 94-04 T5s don't have neutral safety switches, clutch safety switches only. If the car was an automatic before the fox drivetrain swap(5.0 with t5 I'm assuming), there is a two pin connector with a jumper wire above the drivers side kick panel. When I t5 swapped my 2000 v6 I had the same issue, just removed the jumper connector and it won't start without the clutch depressed. I'll provide you a picture. Also if the car was an auto and they swapped the pedal assembly, the clutch switch might be disconnected.

Yeah I learned the hard way in the driveway, In gear no clutch and I turned it over and it started.
This car was 3.8 -t5 and the original t5 was used for the swap just rebuilt. So I figure everything should of not been tampered with.
I do have the connector under the dash your pic shows.

My man ! I pulled that jumper and clutch safety switch works ! Exactly what I wanted just Incase they check at tech inspection next year ! Thanks again !

Anthony.