Car Doesn't Start Appreciate Help

Johnny Stang566

Feb 28, 2018
Need help, engine was stalling in rough idle. I was driving it and it died suddenly. Now the engine cranks but won't start not even pop. The engine is getting fuel and I checked the ignition coil its fine. The engine is not getting a spark. Appreciate any ideas in what to investigate next. Could it be a Mass Air Flow Sensor problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, Welcome to Stangnet :SN:
I'm guessing your car is a Mustang,since we are on Stangnet.com :) and I'm also guessing it's between a '79 to 95' model since we are in that section of the forum :D
But other than that,I'm outta guesses :confused:. If you can,give some more info about your car,I'll try to help you as much as I can as well as many others that frequent this site. And once more, Welcome to the site :nice:

Thanks I appreciate the help. I have a 1994 Mustang GT, it has a V8 5.0L engine in it. At first it was stalling at idle an idling roughly. Then I was driving it and it died on me all of a sudden. The engine cranks but won't start. I checked the fuel pump its working fine. Then I realized there was no spark to the sparks plugs. I checked the ignition coil its ok too. Could a Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor cause a no start?

I did some reading when I thought I had a no spark issue. The most common items are the ignition pickup in the distributor, and the TFI Module on the distributor. If you choose to replace those parts, your best bet is to search out and buy Motorcraft replacement parts. The aftermarket ones die much sooner than stock. There is a long checklist on here for your situation, ranging from most to least likely culprits. How mechanically and electronically inclined are you?

Oh, and to answer your question, your MAF is very unlikely to be your problem if you have spark at the coil, but none at the distributor.

Reactions: 1 user
I did some reading when I thought I had a no spark issue. The most common items are the ignition pickup in the distributor, and the TFI Module on the distributor. If you choose to replace those parts, your best bet is to search out and buy Motorcraft replacement parts. The aftermarket ones die much sooner than stock. There is a long checklist on here for your situation, ranging from most to least likely culprits. How mechanically and electronically inclined are you?

Oh, and to answer your question, your MAF is very unlikely to be your problem if you have spark at the coil, but none at the distributor.

I'm not great but I'm fairly capable what is the procedure for changing the module?

It’s pretty simple really
85B0AB9C-31B5-4B77-B256-13291FEAEF3C.jpeg

Just make sure to use a very good thermal paste (not the grease they include with the new module.) when you reinstall

Also, Check Engine light on? Checked for codes?

Here is a link to the 'cranks but no start checklist'
http://forums.stangnet.com/787471-cranks-ok-but-no-start-checklist-fuel-injected-mustangs.html
Go through the list first to familiarize yourself with it, each step is oriented and will lead to the next step, seems daunting at first but it works, the guru that put it together knows his stuff (can't remember his name :thinking:) it shows you how to check for codes too, saves you from wasting money and time although likely causes are pip in the distributor or the module that raggity showed a picture of.Now
And welcome to stangnet and be sure to tell us how it goes or ask us questions if you get stuck.

Hi, Welcome to Stangnet :SN:
I'm guessing your car is a Mustang,since we are on Stangnet.com :) and I'm also guessing it's between a '79 to 95' model since we are in that section of the forum :D
But other than that,I'm outta guesses :confused:. If you can,give some more info about your car,I'll try to help you as much as I can as well as many others that frequent this site. And once more, Welcome to the site :nice:
Yes it’s a 95 mustang gt 5.0 automatic when it was driving there was almost no power I would hit the gas and the rpms would go up but no go and then the next week it just completely died while I was driving I had just switched out the motor about a month back with a used one and I changed the fuel pump I was maybe thinking it was a fuel pump relay?