Car Has No Battery In Front.i Want To Get 1 In There. Help

KyleEBK

Jan 27, 2008
So im building a decent sound system in my mustang. When i bought the car it had no battery under the hood(no tray nothing) and it had a battery mounted over the right rear wheel in the Hatch.

Im going to relocate the battery (g31 in a battery box) in the hatch to the left side behind the wheel well

I need to add another battery under the hood and i would like it to be a group 31 size battery. Is this possible and has it been done? Where could i get the hardware I need to mount a group 31 battery in the front?

if not a group 31 the biggest 1 i can fit there will have to do

let me know guys thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i know i can get a replacement tray and hardware from a few sites. but can i put a tray from a different vehicle in that would hold a group 31? I know what size a regular mustang battery is and what battery goes into it. theres a huge difference in battery amp/hour and reserve capacity between stock mustang battery and group 31 battery. I know i could try to fit a g31 into a stock replacement tray but would that tray take the added weight? would i be able to secure the battery to the tray ?

The battery tray is the same for 86-93 Mustangs, all engine types

See http://www.batteryplex.com/sheets/BCI_21170_Combined_with_Cover.pdf for information on battery sizes. Everything you need is in there.

All you need that isn't in there is the battery tray dimensions for your Mustang.

I wouldn't say all engine types for 86, as I had to change the tray and location in mine when I did the 3.8 CFI/C4 to 5.0/T5 conversion. The one that was in there was a rusted out steel tray.

There have been universal trays with hold downs. Matching up dimensions should be easy enough at a good parts store. My concern is height. Welding your super battery to the hood underside would be the wrong kind of exciting.

problem is not old tray even, there is no hardware at all,most likely be running a d3100 xs power in the hatch and something else up in front (starting battery, prolly nothing special since batteries only last so long anyways...)