Car is flooding while turned off

U2'SLO

May 3, 2009
SW Missouri
I have narrowed my car no start issue to it flooding itself out while parked. Whenever I try to start it at first it will not start. You can crank it for 10sec and no start. But if you put it to the floor it will start. That tells me it is flooded because during startup at WOT the injectors are shut off.
What would cause it to flood when it is off????:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

That doesn't sounds like flooding. Do you smell a bunch of fuel? The only think I can think of that would cause it to flood when it is off is a stuck injector. But then you would definately smell fuel.

Kurt

Definitely not flooding. I suspect that your fuel pump check valve could be malfunctioning and you're losing fuel pressure if the engine's off for a lengthy period. Try turning the ignition on but wait at least 10 seconds after the fuel pump has primed before you attempt to start the engine. If it fires up right away, that'll confirm my diagnosis.

When I start it up the the black smoke is thick out the pipes. It smells real bad fuel during startup. I was thinking injectors too, but it would have to be more than just one leaking injector to make it not start.

Now that you've given us that extra bit of info., it seems more likely that the rubber diaphragm inside the fuel pressure regulator has cracked so the fuel pressure is excessively high on start up. The only cure is a new regulator.