car runs at 210-212* w/ AC in heat...Too high?

• Sponsors (?)

212 is not too too bad but you said it gets higher and that's not good. Do you have a 195 thermostat? Does the temp seem to go up while sitting in traffic? You may want to consider installing a new fan clutch and a 180 stat. With the a/c on, in the middle of the summer in traffic, my car would run about 195 with a 180 stat.

oheat

not trying to steal the thread but since its about overheating maybe i can get mine answered.

My car is overheating while driving on the freeway but it doesnt on city streets what do you guys think is up?

feifong said:
not trying to steal the thread but since its about overheating maybe i can get mine answered.

My car is overheating while driving on the freeway but it doesnt on city streets what do you guys think is up?

Sounds like a water flow problem, possibly your radiator.

This can be hard or easy....

Make sure you are full of coolant and not too full. I just went through a couple months of coolant loss, running hot at idle, etc, only to find that my heater hose connections from my Feb heater core install were weeping water. Filled it and tightened it, and it is back to normal. It will idle normally in traffic for 5 -10 mins with the ac on, etc, now. This is with a non clutch fan, a 195 thermostat, a loose converter and the 79 style R12 ac system working.

If the engine is otherwise healthy,and the thermostat is working ok, it just may be age and dirt in the radiator, and changing it is worth doing.

I have swapped radiators in the Capri and my old 82 Bronco, and both times it fixed a marginal running hot problem.

No it does not hurt it to run at 212. For reference, the low speed fan on a 94-95 does not even come on till ~208*F (high speed at high 220's).

The stat answer will help a bit. If you are idling and turn off the a/c, does it get better (the highway and turning off the A/c are two variables - best to only have one variable when testing like this)?

The U/D's and flex fan are not helping. Do you have a shroud on the flex fan?

Good luck.

oh

yea it might be the radiator i think its the original from 83. I had it cleaned up at a shop 1 yr ago so this may be it. Should i go for a griffin radiator what do you guys think??

HISSIN50 said:
No it does not hurt it to run at 212. For reference, the low speed fan on a 94-95 does not even come on till ~208*F (high speed at high 220's).

The stat answer will help a bit. If you are idling and turn off the a/c, does it get better (the highway and turning off the A/c are two variables - best to only have one variable when testing like this)?

Good luck.

:stupid: This guy gives great advice

I am running between 200 and 220, mostly due to the forged pistons.

If you are worried about it swap out the stat and flush the system. If the problem persists then look into an electric fan so that you can get max airflow at any rpm.

HISSIN50 said:

Good luck.

Yup I have the stock shroud. Turning off the A/c helps 1 or 2* at idle and possibly a few degrees lower on the highway with a/c off.

Today I was driving at 210 with the a/c on in the city and it started to rain. Even though it was 95* outside and humid as h*** the temp immediately went down to 195* where, incidentally, is where it runs on the cool mornings a/c or not~city or highway.

I believe from your opinions that I can leave well enough alone. It's just that I have the ability to read accurate gauges now. ( recent Triple pillar install) and I wanted to make sure I was not watching my motor run too hot.

I used to have a 160 stat (now is a 195) and I bet I was building carbon and causing wear. :(

I apppreciate the replies.

With a 195, those temps (210-ish) are about right on. Many stats dont open fully till around 10*F past their temp rating.

A 180 is a nice compromise IMHO. I live in the desert, but we go get down to the teen occasionally. A piece of cardboard across the front of the rad on cold mornings can help, but probably is not necessary on a V8.

Good luck.