car runs for a minute, falters and dies

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
so after fixing my starter problem ( it was the relay..thanks for the help guys :SNSign: ) i started up the car after it sitting for the night with the battery disconnected and it runs for a min then dies. also when i rev it, looks like water coming out of the tails. any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

What was it doing leading up to the issue that led to the repair? Was it running alright? Had you disconnected the battery during that [good running] time? I'm wondering if you're near the edge of an adaptive limit and the puter is going to need some time to re-learn this extreme limit.

Otherwise, I'd hold the throttle to let it warm up and see how it does and let it learn. You can mess with the idle setting if need be.

Good luck.

jmd2914 said:
It was only disconnected for a night while i fixed the starter and relay. How long should i give it for it to relearn everything? also, would messed up timing possibly be the cause of this?
Timing can cause issues. That said, I've run mine pretty advanced or retarded and not had real issues.

Cleaning your IAC might not be a bad idea (I didnt suggest it before since it sounded like the car ran fine before. I looked for changes, and the KAM being cleared came to mind).

Good luck.

alright, i read in an older issue of 5.0 n super fords that cleanin the iac can sometimes foul them. and i just bought a new one like two years ago, how long do these things last? another thing how do i get the caps of the " salt n pepper shakers". i was gonna clean those while i was at it.

IAC lifespan depends upon the brand, how much blow-by you see (and PCV function), etc etc. Not something you can forecast IMHO.

Good luck.

IAC is one to look at because it will try to bring the idle down, will be slow and will bring down too much, the slow TPS won't be able to bring it up in time.

However, if this is not it, or before throwing parts at it I would read codes, then I would check fuel pressure and spark