car scared bejeezuz out of me last night!

sdc13

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2002
SoCal
Last week I put my stang back on the road after sitting idle for 2 years. The first week I pretty much babied it around. Well last night I went WOT for the first time. When I let off the gas to go to 2nd gear the revs shot up to redline like the throttle was stuck open. It didn't hit a rev limiter but the tach was reading 6500 before I shut it down and coasted to the side of the road. I though maybe a broke the throttle cable or something. I checked the cable and it was fine. I played with the throttle mechanism and could hear it open and close so I know it wasn't stuck. When I went to start up the car the revs shot right up again like I was standing on the gas pedal. Luckily this happened a couple blocks from my house. I limped home by starting the car in 2nd gear keeping my foot on the brake to keep the revs down. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

• Sponsors (?)

To test the above ideas, disconnect the IAC and see if it idles normal (note that it will need assistance idling until it warms up, and even then it might need help [depending upon how you set your idle]).

Does the gas pedal get sucked to the floor or anything?

Good luck.

I started the car up today after taking off the blower belt just in case. The car idled good. Tried 1/2 throttle and the car was ok. Tried 3/4 and still good but going WOT would cause the car to go to redline and the revs would not come down until I stomped on and off the gas pedal a couple times. Can someone explain to me how the IAC valve works, what it does and how much is it to replace one? Or should I just go buy a new FRP 65mm TB?

"Push in the clutch and let the SOB blow it's over Cole!" :)

Sorry, just trying to lighten your mood. I know how frustrating it can be when things get you all POed. Good luck, hopefully it'll just be the IAC and you'll be back in business in no time. :nice: