Car seems quieter after tune??? Am I crazy?

chimchim

May 14, 2004
PA
Just what it says. I got an SCT x-calibrator and installed last night. I put about 50 miles on the car now and it seems hella quiet. I have stock manifolds, o/r mac h-pipe and mac catback. I guess it's just not backfiring anymore and I think it's more quiet, but when I accelerate throught the gears, it just seems like it's not as loud. Am I crazy or does the bump in timing smooth the power out and quiet the exhaust tone??? The car is smoother and faster through all RPMs now.

• Sponsors (?)

chimchim said:
Just what it says. I got an SCT x-calibrator and installed last night. I put about 50 miles on the car now and it seems hella quiet. I have stock manifolds, o/r mac h-pipe and mac catback. I guess it's just not backfiring anymore and I think it's more quiet, but when I accelerate throught the gears, it just seems like it's not as loud. Am I crazy or does the bump in timing smooth the power out and quiet the exhaust tone??? The car is smoother and faster through all RPMs now.

interesting...I would like to get some answer to. :shrug:

twogts4us said:
Smoother and more power - sounds like a good combo to me. Is this the original X or the new X2?

Original X. It took 2 minutes to flash. No chip to mess with. :nice:

I'm getting it dyno'd next Friday. I'll flash the stock tune and then the custom and get a back to back comparison. I'll report back then.

propellerhead said:
I got the same when I first flashed with the Predator. Months later, I reflashed the tune after some tweaks and it felt like that again. I'm thinking it's psychological but it is very distinct. *shrug*

I'm thinking too hard. My car was rich in the higher RPMs. Like 11.5:1 from about 4800 to 6000 RPMs. If the engine wasn't burning all that fuel and shoving some unburnt gasoline out the exhaust valves, it would have a different tone??? NO??? Now that it should be leaned out to 13.0:1 across the board, it should be running more efficiently and not working so hard to shove that extra gas out the valves, hence more power and less noise ??? :shrug:

chimchim said:
Original X. It took 2 minutes to flash. No chip to mess with. :nice:

I'm getting it dyno'd next Friday. I'll flash the stock tune and then the custom and get a back to back comparison. I'll report back then.
PLease do so - I am very interested to hear some real world, back to back numbers tuning with the X.
Thanks ya fut nucker! :D :nice: :cheers:

twogts4us said:
PLease do so - I am very interested to hear some real world, back to back numbers tuning with the X.
Thanks ya fut nucker! :D :nice: :cheers:

Yes, I will. I'm going to a shop that has a Dynojet model 248. It's a ricer shop with a bunch of 21-year old kids working there. It's 1/2 hour away from my house. All others are like 3-4 hours away. I'll have to endure the pain. When I made the appointment, he asked me what kind of car I had. I almost told him it was a 1985 Chevy Caprice with a 4.3L Carbureted V8 that is stock as a rock. :rlaugh: