Car Shudders When Turning Wheel

plantmeister

Dec 17, 2016
FL
Hello all! I'm back! Hurricane Irma threw me off and I just got my mustang back yesterday. So anyway, here's the deal:

When I'm pulling in/backing out of a parking space, or at very low speeds when I turn the wheel to basically any tight turn (both left or right), the car shudders bad. It rattles everything under the hood it seems like. If I let go of the steering wheel or straighten, it stops. It doesn't seem to do it at normal speeds and normal turns, just anything tight.
I just had struts and mounts out on, new tires, and the power steering pump hoses are new (stock pressure hoses).
It has been doing this for a while, but at the time, my ignition switch was also going out, so I blamed that. It seems to have gotten worse recently.
I have an appointment to have it aligned this afternoon, but do I need to be worried about worse things?
Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, we checked underneath and there's not a problem with tire clearance. This time, I was able to stand outside the car when the wheel was turning and I heard an almost metal sounding shriek. We both think now it may be the power steering pump?

Only time I've seen this is with a rack low on fluid or with a pump/rack issue. Jack the front wheels off the ground, does the shudder go away

The fluid level seems fine, and it did have a leak for a while. So much was leaking under the hood that it took me a while to get everything replaced, but it has new stock pressure lines on the ps pump.
I didn't think to check it that way; I'll get it jacked up and test it out

The steering system probably still has air in it and needs bleeding. Try getting the front wheels in the air, then turn the ignition on (don't start it yet), floor and hold the gas. This invokes "clear flood" mode and shuts off the injectors. Now, still holding the gas to the floor, crank the starter and turn the wheel kind of slowly all the way left, all the way right, all the way left, all the way right. Do this 5-10 seconds at a time, then let it rest, so you don't overcook the starter. Once you've cycled it a few times, top off the fluid. It should be good to go. If not, it may still be leaking somewhere.