Car shutting off after just a couple minutes

My Black Beast

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Lakeland, FL
Hey guys, I searched for a while but haven't found exactly my situation. I apparently had 2 different problems and I have fixed the first.

1st problem: Went out to car one day and battery was dead. Jumped it and try to start it but there wasn't enough power yet. Took the key out and then car kept trying to start with out the key. Eventually I took a hammer to the starter relay and then it started fine. Happened again later and same thing; then I decided to replace and fixed. While all of this going on the car was shutting off too. Thought they were related but not sure now.

Current problem: Car shuts off after just a couple minutes whether at idle or holding the revs up. It drives perfect except for that. I suspect that I have alternator problems that is why I have just bought everything for the 3g swap. The few things that I know:
1. Can hear fuel pump come on
2. Codes: Well I haven't done these in a while and I got a little confused pulling them and the car is at work 25 min. away. KOEO I got 11-passes. I did not do running test. I think it was continuous memory that I got either 17, 71 and/or 18. Sorry I was in a hurry and got a little confused.
3. Fuel filters only about 10,000 miles old
4. Fuel pump I have no idea
5. I have been having problems with my battery dieing if I leave the car sit for more than around 4 days.
6. Distributor is has about 15,000 miles
7. (Edit) Fuel pressure is at a good 39* with hose disconnected

Like I said the car dies after a minute or two. The car doesn't even have a chance to warm up or anything. I will try to check the codes again tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot. Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I would make sure you maintain FP. Then when it wont start, checking for spark and injector pulsing is what I would do.

Good luck.

Update

Ok, my friend and I went and trailered the car home. Of course I started it up and it idle fine for like 30 minutes without shutting off. :bang:

Checked codes again doing the Key on and the running test. All I got was continous code 18: Loss of tach input/IDM circuit failure/SPOUT circuit grounded. What could this mean and what's an IDM? :shrug:

Also, I have a MSD Dis. Do I have to buy a MSD TFI like the one on there is see if that's the problem or can I just get a factory one? Is there a difference?

And yes the car will turn right back on after it dies. I don't recall the tach doing anything. I don't recall there being any power at all after it dies.

Thanks, Mike

IDM is Ignition Diagnostics Monitor. It is a way of keeping tabs on the ignition module.

I dont see why you would need an MSD TFI, but I dont run an MSD so I wont say for sure.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I dont see why you would need an MSD TFI, but I dont run an MSD so I wont say for sure.

Good luck.

Well I think I answered this question. I have spent about an hour online trying to find someone who sells an this without the distributor and found nothing. I don't think MSD sells this as a seperate part. Guess I will just hook up the Autozone one.

Now the car will not shut off by itself. I reset the computer and I will drive around to see if it does. I am guessing when it shuts off it is giving me that Code 18 so something is going on but not all the time.

I am afraid to really drive it anywhere though!!! :mad:

I hear ya. That stuff tends to get funky when the item gets hot. One can have the TFI bench tested at the parts store (have them do it repeatedly).

Or drive around the block many, many times. :) (or have a chase vehicle).

Good luck.