Car shutting off while driving and freaky tach

My Black Beast

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Lakeland, FL
Man, I have been working so hard on my 2.3T that I haven't been on here in a long time. Well, until I have a problem...which is now :D

The car the last month had been puttering around once in a while just like it was having a miss or something. Maybe once every trip. Then one day it started freaking out and puttering then it would shut off. I would start it (driving down the interstate btw) and would be good for a few minutes. Then it would either shut off again or the tach would go to 0 and but the engine would be on, but barely, like a just a couple hundred RPM's. Sometimes the tach would jump around as well. If you hit the gas while it was almost shut off it would be very hesitant and sometimes go back to normal and other times just shut off.

It shut off on me, trying to get back home, like 6 times in 3 miles. This appears to be an electrical thing.

Plugs and wires are pretty new. Msd is has about 25,000 miles. Jacobs box looks pretty old though.

I would appreaciate any help on where to get started. Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

If the 3G was wired wrong you'd just run out of juice since it wouldn't be charging and it probably wouldn't keep starting for you. The TFI sounds like it's worth checking out like vulcan mentioned.

It sounds like it's still cranking. If so, I'd be lookin more at PIP or TFI issues.

You might recall Jrichker's very complete No-start checklists. I'd print out the appropriate list and run down it.

Good luck.

I did start it up the other day and drove it around the block with no problem. This was the first time I drove it since it started freaking out. Those are all good suggestions, I will check them out. If any else has anything let me know, thanks.

Mike