car spitting and sputtering BADLY. need help please

blown02GT

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2001
drunk in the backyard
once again, the car is messed up. drove it home one night. ran GREAT. started it the next morning and now it's doing this. when you start it, you can hear a miss at idle, but when taking it down the road, it hesitates, spits, sputters, backfires, about anything you can think of besides a rod knocking, i've been working on cars quite a while and have never seen anything like this. i thought maybe IAC when i heard the irratic idle, but not this. the link in my sig has all the mods listed.. it also has a autologic chip (which i think may be the cause) any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

• Sponsors (?)

well went out and cleaned the MAF. reset the computer and still nothing.. it's almost like 2 spark plugs and 2 02 sensors went out at the same time, which i really can't see happening.. is there any way to test a chip to see if it's bad? i heard about 1 in 6 of these things is bad from the distributor :shrug:

My cobra is doing the same thing, it starts great, but under any load it spits, sputters and runs like crap...I have been looking at a fuel problem, changed the filter to no avail, looking at getting a BBK fuel pump and checking the IAC Valve as soon as I figure out what it is?? Mine ran great, went to the store, came out and it started running bad....Mine idels fine though..Any words on BBK pumps?? Autozone wanted $214 for a pump...checked with R&E racing here in Cali and they have a BBK for $139....

I am having the same problem with my 99 gt. It stumbles when under acceleration between 1k and 2k rpm. I changed out all the spark plugs. They were a little too red but it did not fix the problem, although it helped a little. The next thing I am gonna check are the coils that go on the plugs and the fuel filter. A friend with a 98 cobra suggested it was a 02 sensor but I would have thought my check engine light would have came on. Any suggestions????