Car Stalls On Stop Signs And Lights

wyldside74

Feb 15, 2011
Hi everyone I have a 89 Gt that is stalling out at stop signs and lights intermittantly I will do my best to explain and list all the new mods. If I drive it normally to a stop sign it will retain the idle. If I say drive it hard to a stop sign at 2nd gear with the rpms up and put it in neutral it will slow down to 500 rpms and then try to catch itself but stalls out. If I reve it up before I pull it into my garage it does the same thing it seems to happen when the motor is under a load right before neutral.

The enigine is a new build with a trickflow top end H/C/I. It has approx 100 miles on it.

Everything is new just about, new vacum hoses, new tps sensor set at .98, new egr solonoid, new pro-m mass air calibrated for 24lb injectors, new 75mm TB, new iac, new coil. New plugs, wires, clutch cable, clutch, headers, exhaust, alternator.

I stil get a code 33 but I cleaned the egr valve and let it soak in carb cleaner for about 6 hours and that now looks like new.

Pulled the codes only got 44,94, 33

It was acting up bad until I replaced the CnL mass air to a pro-m.

I am stuck, I had some excellent help with it so far getting it to this point but we are at a loss I'm reaching out on all the sites for some extra help.

If anyone had this issue please let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

What I was thinking of getting a egr block off plate just to test it removed and see if it clears p then she'll out for a new egr since they are around $100 I can run it around for a few miles for a test. What are some thoughts?

I was also wondering if it can be a Ignition control module possibly gone bad.

im not a pro here like some but i think the ignition module usually works or it doesn't,and it sometimes messes up the tack....sounds to me its most likely egr or "maybe"vacuum?....just guessing though

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 134,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

whats your idle set at? i found my tfs1 cam likes a slightly higher idle (~900-1k rpm by my stock tach) or else it does the same thing. it may not be whats actually "wrong," but at least seems to be a bandaid for the situation.