Car stutters and is humming...fuel pump?

My car stutters frequently like it has no gas and theres a loud hum from the back of the car when it is stopped. It is a 5 spd 86 GT with a rebuilt 5.0. I'm guessing pretty uneducatedly that it is the fuel pump but I know that people here might have alot more to add and other ways to differentiate between what problem it might be. AIM sn = KevinP86GT. thanks. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

leakyfaucet said:
As always, pull your trouble codes.
right on!

as Leakyfaucet said, the hum can be normal. please give more info on when it stutters (rpm, operating conditions, etc). how long does it last, and so on.

if you have a FP gauge and can safely replicate the conditions where it stutters, i might check the pressure at that time. should be around 32 psi.

if it is not, dont immediately go get a new Fuel pump. if the regulator went south it can also keep one from having enough pressure (post back for tests for it).

good luck.

to be honest it stutters right after i shift and touch the gas for the first time again. also when i disengage the clutch before coming to a stop it has trouble finding an idle and sometimes either revs itself up to about 1200 rpms or vibrates the car really low at about 5-600. it just really feels like its running out of gas...thats the best way to describe it. :bang:

let me say a few more things now that i've completely thought this through. is it possible that it could be the transmission? it has been making a little bit more noise lately and i did let my friend drive it without me there recently...could it be the O2 sensor? my gas mileage is horrible...could it be a vacum leak? it seems like the car stutters only in 3rd and 4th gear...but i'm not absolutley sure about that. please help.

foxes have 2 digit codes - SN pushrod motors have 3 digit codes. might try that again.

Jrichker has some nice links for pulling the codes with a paperclip. some parts stores will pull them too (depends upon what part of the country one is in, it seems). code readers can be had for 20-30 bucks too.

good luck.