Car troubles

99Blackbeauty

Jun 9, 2019
Montana
Hello everyone. Brandnew to the forum and about at my wits end for the troubles i have with my pony. I was driving home the other day and when i hit a hill my mustang seemed to lose half power. I have replace plugs, wires, and coil pack. Thinking a tune up would fix the issue. The car idles fine yet upon acceleration it bogs down and loses power. I also replaced the fuel filter and checked the pressure regulator all seem to be in normal operating spectrum. Fuel system at idle sits at 32 psi witch is just under the low side of the spectrum. I also replaced the ccrm thinking maybe it was the relay for the pump. Please help any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks everyone.

• Sponsors (?)

The CCRM is basically a purpose built set of relays. They usually power their devices or not. I would be hard pressed to think of a failure more where the CCRM could "cause" the symptoms that you are reporting.

Next issue. What model year Mustang are we dealing with anyway? Is this a 1996-1998 return style or a 1999-2004 return-less? But the fuel pressure of 32 PSI at idle is exactly as it should be. But in order to correctly trouble shoot this issue we need to know what the fuel pressure is when the problem is occurring. This is where the 1999-2004 has a real advantage as it's possible to use an ODB2 scanner to monitor FRPS.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If you did this might give access to PCM operating PID's that might make short work of your problem. Here's some information on an affordable Windows based unit.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Recommendation. Make the next trouble shooting step a through review of the battery and alternator.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

If this is a return style fuel system it would be helpful to use an external fuel pressure gauge in such a way as it's visible while driving. An option would be to monitor long term fuel trims (LTFT) while the problem is occurring. IF the fuel pressure drops during heavy load, this will show up as the PCM adding fuel to the STFT and LTFT.

If the STFT and LTFT show a "lean" condition also consider that clogged fuel injectors could be playing a role. Consider an injector cleaning and flow test service such as InjectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new (but cheaper).

Sorry the mustang is a 99 35th anniversary edition with the 190 horse motor. I do have an obd2 tool. I noticed the issues is only during heavy throttle ie getting up to speed quickly. And shifting around 3500 rpm. Once i get over 60 mph it bogs and falls on its face. Also wanted to mention when i put my pressure tester on the fuel port there was no pressure, i turned to switch to the acc position still no pressure until i started the motor completely.

The CCRM is basically a purpose built set of relays. They usually power their devices or not. I would be hard pressed to think of a failure more where the CCRM could "cause" the symptoms that you are reporting.

Next issue. What model year Mustang are we dealing with anyway? Is this a 1996-1998 return style or a 1999-2004 return-less? But the fuel pressure of 32 PSI at idle is exactly as it should be. But in order to correctly trouble shoot this issue we need to know what the fuel pressure is when the problem is occurring. This is where the 1999-2004 has a real advantage as it's possible to use an ODB2 scanner to monitor FRPS.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If you did this might give access to PCM operating PID's that might make short work of your problem. Here's some information on an affordable Windows based unit.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Recommendation. Make the next trouble shooting step a through review of the battery and alternator.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

If this is a return style fuel system it would be helpful to use an external fuel pressure gauge in such a way as it's visible while driving. An option would be to monitor long term fuel trims (LTFT) while the problem is occurring. IF the fuel pressure drops during heavy load, this will show up as the PCM adding fuel to the STFT and LTFT.

If the STFT and LTFT show a "lean" condition also consider that clogged fuel injectors could be playing a role. Consider an injector cleaning and flow test service such as InjectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new (but cheaper).
Sorry its a 99, with the 190 horse output. This issue occurs once i exceed about 3500 rpms if i baby the throttle i can run it just fine. I also wanted to mention when i hoock my pressure tester up to the service port it had no pressure. I turned the key to the on position still no pressure. Omce i started the car the pressure went right up to 32 psi. I was reading about a check valve in the pump is this a position to go or am i just chasing the white rabbit. Thank for your input i will be borrowing my dads obd2 &1 set up tomorrow.