• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Car Warming Up

  • Thread starter Thread starter ace305
  • Start date Start date Oct 27, 2017
A

ace305

Active Member
Dec 28, 2011
171
17
28
Oct 27, 2017
#1
  • Oct 27, 2017
  • #1
my car takes at least 10-12 minutes to get to operating temp. is that normal? i live in the south. its hot here
 

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
4,252
1,214
224
Churchton, MD
Oct 27, 2017
#2
  • Oct 27, 2017
  • #2
I would say so.

How are you measuring that? Are you driving it and it takes that long for the needle on the temp gauge to get to where it should be? Or are you letting it idle up to temp?

My 2003 GT, still with the stock thermostat, does take some time to get up to temp. I'll drive for about 3 miles before the needle even moves. By the time I'm about a mile from work, it gets to where it should be.

Compared to my 2003 Explorer with a V6 that is fully up to temp within that first 3 miles...I dunno, it's kinda weird.
 
A

ace305

Active Member
Dec 28, 2011
171
17
28
Oct 28, 2017
#3
  • Oct 28, 2017
  • #3
IIGood said:
I would say so.

How are you measuring that? Are you driving it and it takes that long for the needle on the temp gauge to get to where it should be? Or are you letting it idle up to temp?

My 2003 GT, still with the stock thermostat, does take some time to get up to temp. I'll drive for about 3 miles before the needle even moves. By the time I'm about a mile from work, it gets to where it should be.

Compared to my 2003 Explorer with a V6 that is fully up to temp within that first 3 miles...I dunno, it's kinda weird.
Click to expand...
that is exactly how mine acts. I assume its normal. Thanks for the help
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Oct 28, 2017
#4
  • Oct 28, 2017
  • #4
+1 on above. Big motor. Big coolant volume. I have to drive several miles as well to get up to full operating temperature. The gauge comes off of the left peg fairly quickly but does take awhile to get to full operating temperature.
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Oct 28, 2017
#5
  • Oct 28, 2017
  • #5
I'm thinking it is the cast iron block, my 98 Cobra warmed up a lot faster than my GT I noticed right away and at first thought the thermostat was bad. The Cobra also cooled off much faster too with the Teksid.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
warmed up, hard re-starting on hot days
  • michaelleewebb
  • Mar 26, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
9
Views
420
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Mar 29, 2026
michaelleewebb
M
D
1996 gt mustang block temp vs coolant temp
  • Dkuehn
  • May 21, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
111
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 22, 2026
squeak93
G
1991 GT 5.0 running hot
  • gvanginkel403
  • Jul 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
237
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 2, 2026
General karthief
W
Engine My engine dies after running 10 to 15 minutes under high heat.
  • Wylieone
  • Jun 21, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
250
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 22, 2026
Mustang5L5
S
Mach 1 iac valve in a 4.6 gt
  • solodriverz
  • Jun 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
143
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 5, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?