car wont crank! want to fire new carbed motor!

Drunk5oh

Oct 12, 2004
ocala fla
ok i recently put in a fresh carbed 306 in my 95. most of the factory wiring is still connected (minus fuel injection harness and egr crap). ccrm and ecu are still attached. the only problem is i cant get the starter to turn over at all when i turn the key. no click, no anything. how many wires run to the starter? its been 3 months since i took the starter off and cant recall how many there were. all i have connected is the large power wire and the small gauge connector (black wire). is there another wire? like a large ground wire or something? the bottom starter bolt has the extra nut on there, maybe is that for the ground? this is all i need to hopefully crank the car over and get it running again. any help would be great! thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

oh and the positive wire (battery to starter) is brand new as is the ground wire from batt. to block. now i have the battery grounded to the motor mount (its a solid mount, no rubber, just metal) and every accessory works fine, just no cranking. i tried grounding the starter from a starter bolt to the chassis, and still got nothing.

anyone have any ideas? starter was tested and determined to be operational... this is all that is keeping me from starting the car up

ok i solved the cranking problem and the starter now engages. only problem is that it sounds absolutely horrible. it doesnt sound like a normal car cranking, it almost sounds like the starter is spinning faster than the motor. now is it possible that the teeth on the flywheel are different than those of the starter so they dont mesh properly? i thought all 5.0's used a 50 oz imbalance 157 tooth flywheel. is this correct?