Car won't run, timing marks not there - HELP!!!

DREDD_LX93

Mar 1, 2010
Hey guys, in the process of trying to fix my car, I took a look at the timing and the hash marks are no longer there by the timing pointer.

It seems the dampener has turned. When I first started working on the car, the timing was clearly set at 10 degrees, and I could see the hash marks.

Since the car will not start at the moment, how can I reset the timing?

I actually tried by pulling on the drivebelt but it didn't move a millimeter! :lol:

Please help, I think I fixed the part that was broken (ECM relay), but now the timing seems to be way off.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry, it's a 5.0 LX Auto.

I died on me a few months back, and since then I've been replacing parts left and right (parts I was going to eventually, sooner rather than later, gonna have to replace anyway):

1. Battery
2. Starter
3. Distributor (I installed it correctly, per the instructions of making a note where the rotor was located)
4. Fuel pump
5. ECM Relay
6. Fuel Pump relay
7. Ignition switch
8. Tune up (spark plugs, wires,

Car cranks but won't run. Fuel pump works. I've verified that the injectors are not receiving signal, which indicates either ECM or ECM Relay. I've replaced the relay, a used ECM is on it's way, but I just saw that the timing hash marks are not there anymore, so need a way to reset the timing on a car that won't turn on.

Thanks!

You pull the #1 plug out and stick your finger in the hole. Rotate the engine by hand until you feel air blowing out of the hole, it should be coming up to the timing marks on the balancer, set it to 0 degrees. Put the plug back in. Then put the distributor in with the rotor button pointing at the #1 plug wire, making sure you have the distibutor oriented so that you have room to rotate it in order to time it once it starts. That should be all you need to do.

A "remote starter switch" can be used to do this also (to turn the engine to find #1 cylinder compression stroke for correct distributor installation).

If you know someone that has an older timing light set some of them came with remote starter switches. The remote starter switch connects to the + battery terminal and the S post on the starter solenoid. When you press the switch the car will crank (with the key off). This will allow you to crank the car and observe the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke with your finger in the spark plug hole so you don't mistake the two and install your distributor 180 degrees off.

Ok, I finally got the ECM from ebay, and that's what the problem was. The injectors fired right up (noid light lit up).

However, as soon as it turned on, it bogged and then died.

I'm gonna do the timing thing per the instructions given previously, but I had a few questions before I start.

I know that I'm supposed to turn the crank until the timing reaches 0 degrees, and set the rotor to point to the #1 spark plug.

My first question is, do I remove the SPOUT connector before I TRY turning on the car the first time (AFTER doing the steps above)? Or do I leave it connected?

At what point will I set it to 10 degrees BTDC (the factory setting)? Or will this happen automatically once the engine starts?

Also, I've read that bumping the timing up to about 14 degrees provides more power (with 91+ octane gas). Should I wait to do this after the above steps, or can I do this from the very beginning?

Thanks for the tips, guys. I've always been a musclecar fan, but I'm fairly new to actually working on cars, I'm willing to try new things, but always carefully. This timing stuff scares me a little, I don't want to blow up my engine (can't afford a rebuilt short block right now!).

Thanks!