car wont start.. getting fuel but no spark

02TruBlueGt

Aug 22, 2006
As the title sais i have a 02 gt. One nite car was running flawless.. took it to mustang week drag raced it, oval tracked it, just beat the piss out of it... Im currently deployed and was home for 2 weeks for R&R.. then on my last day i go out for one more drive, and I go to turn my car on and nothing... just crank and crank and crank.. its getting fuel as i took the plugs out and the are wet with fuel.. theft light is NOT flashing. Then checked spark and there is nothing.. The ECU is still hooked and working cause it was still turning my car on and reading everything...

Anyone with ideas?

Again im deployed and the car is back in the states... just starting this thread to get some ideas for my dad and brother to work on...

• Sponsors (?)

Check to see there is power to the ignition circuit. Confirm there is +12 volts to the COP red wire with the key on.

Confirm fuses F2.2 and F2.8 in the CJB. Not a bad idea to confirm all fuses.

The CKP sensor is working. Otherwise there wouldn't be an injector pulse.

Check for a disconnected upper intake tube or large vacuum leak.

Does the motor make the typical "chug chug" sound during cranking? If not start looking for a major failure such as broken timing chains.

Try holding the throttle half way open. Does this improve starting? Is so, suspect a bad IAC.

Activate the flood reset by holding the pedal all the way to the floor. Does this improve starting?

Disconnect the MAF electrical connector. Does this improve starting?

all fuses are still good. All tubes are connected, and it does make the chug chug as its trying to turn over just wont fire.

I will email my dad to double check for vaccuums and to try the disconnecting of the MAF. Even with throttle open no fire.

Before I left we did the trick with a screwdriver and grounding it with the COP and no spark jumped at all.

F1=BJB=Battery Junction Box-located engine bay
F2=CJB=Central Junction Box-located driver's kick panel.

CKP=crank shaft position sensor.

Pushing the pedal all the way to the floor activates the flood recovery mode. Basically this disables the fuel injectors allowing a flood to clear.

You stated the fueses are good, but you did not actually test for 12 volts at the COP. Remember, fuses could be could but a relay could be bad.

thanks alot. Im gonna email this page to my brother have him take a look at these things. I hate being deployed sometimes :) this all happened the day before i got on the plane.