Car won't start sometimes and dies randomly

velocity

Nov 12, 2003
Colorado
I have a 94 GT vert that is hard to hot start. Friday I went to dinner and came out and it took me like 5 or 10 minutes to start it. The engine turns, but just doesn't turn over. And then last night I was stopping at a stop light and I was down shifting the whole way to second then when I pushed in the clutch and stopped my car died.

Anyone know what is wrong, or have any suggestions? I think it is something electrical, but I don't know...

Thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Velocity,
I'm fighting about the same problem in my 95' coupe. I've narrowed it down to ignition problems, because when mine dies, everything electrical on the gauges stays up except the tach. I must be losing ignition, because the tach runs off of ignition pulses. I put on a new cap and rotor, coil and ignition module. We'll see if it works tomorrow. I'll PM you and let you know if it works if you want me too. Good Luck..

-Gtjammer

It might be the PIP. I had the same problem a year ago, changed the PIP (inside the distributer)no more stalls. But now a year later the symptoms came back, and yestreday I couldnt get my car started, so I will buy another one and see if it works.

Well,
I changed cap, rotor, coil, battery cables, and ignition module all last night, and it didn't fix it, so I'm going to the dist. next. I've got a lot of miles, so I'll probably just replace the whole thing. I've heard you have to take the distribuor out and apart to change the PIP.

-we'll keep trying.

-Gtjammer

PIP or Hall-effect or stater. Its basically the electronic version of "points" from older cars. It tells the computer when to fire the coil. To replace it you have to remove the dist. slide off the gear and the stop plate(they have roll pins)from the shaft then remove the shaft. The pip then can be removed from the Dist. It only takes about 20min. I just replaced mine yesterday and my car fired right up. :banana:

I'm having the same issues and have replaced everything ignition related except the pip. My MSD distributor is only a couple of years old....you'd think stuff would last longer than that. Over the past week of changing everything i could think of the car started to get better. The thing now is it'll run great until it gets nice and warm. It starts cutting out a little here and there below 3k rpm. From 3k rpm and up it's just a popping farting pig.

Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking it might be fuel related but i just changed the filter last year and the pump is a 190 from 2yrs ago.

Checked a few things...

I just had some free time finally a couple days ago and checked some things out... Some of the electical plugs that were attached to the air intake (IAT, MAF, etc.) were a little corroded with some white pasty looking stuff. So I cleaned it all out. I also was thinking it might be an O2 sensor thing, but there is no codes stored for that. I just wanted to do all the free things first before I go buying parts that I don't even know if they will fix the problem.

I was out driving today, and it still is dying....

How much is that PIP and can I just get one at Checker?

Thanks for all the help!!!