Carbon fiber hood

bentley429isBAC

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
CT
Anyone run a CF hood here? Looking into a stock (flat) one to finally replace my steel one. Ive seen a few around, some are really cheap some are reeeeally expensive. Going to use dzus fasteners so it's not a bolt on. This is one of the cheap ones I've seen, seller claims its 100% carbon fiber and not just a overlay and is getting a weight for me. Looking for around 12 lbs or under. Guessing its junk though as is 90% of everything else on ebay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320597803843?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

• Sponsors (?)

There were a few ones that were supposedly 100% woven for sale locally and every one i went to look at when they pulled them from the box had frayed ends already. They were about $150 from some dude who couldnt tell me a brand. If you're going for looks just get a wrap, if you want weight loss then im gonna guess your really expensive ones are your best bet.

I've seen plenty of CF hoods (most of which are flimsy, very flexible and honestly junk). Obviously legitimate CF parts are fairly tough pieces, but finding one that isn't wrapped glass might be
Fairly hard. If the one listed is an actual CF hood, I'd love to know the weight savings over a fiberglass piece.

Yea I am pretty sure the thing is junk. Most CF hoods are 800-1200 which is pretty crazy as there are glass hoods around they are 10-15 lbs for under 500. Not going for looks, the hood will get painted just want a decent hood that fits good and is light. Gotta take another 300 lbs out of this cow over the winter.

I run a CF hood on my Rice rocket. I didn't save really any weight though as the factory hood was aluminum, and this one is CF over fiberglass. Sucker is pretty nice though.

Yea I am pretty sure the thing is junk. Most CF hoods are 800-1200 which is pretty crazy as there are glass hoods around they are 10-15 lbs for under 500. Not going for looks, the hood will get painted just want a decent hood that fits good and is light. Gotta take another 300 lbs out of this cow over the winter.

Get a pin on fg hood and hatch/decklid. If your car is a hatch and you go to a 'glass pin on hatch with a plexi window, you'll lose a ton... Last time I lifted a stock hatch I needed a chiropracter.

Hardwood sells a stock hood? I am trying to see if kaenan sells a stock style one also both make nice glass hoods just concerned about the weight.

Shaolin if you got a weight that would be great.

Don't want to run a glass hatch. Will be all steel exrcpt for the hood. Might have to put some weight in the trunk as it is.

Currently I am gutting the doors cutting out everything behind the sail panels removing the heater box and everything related taking out the console cutting out most of the dash frame and cutting out the ms cage for a cm one. Hole sawing everything. Hopefully it gets to be around 27xx lbs race weight.

When im at my buddies shop picking up my fender i'll toss it on the scale. IIRC harwood and another company made a stock fiberglass hood for a while. There was one on cl locally for about a year. I have a 4" cowl but the sucker is waaaaay lighter then a stocker.

You should be able to get down to 27xx in an all steel hatch. My car weighed 2940 with driver and a full interior and steel hood, with the stock iron headed engine.

It has clear on it only.

14jayw3.jpg

smg1ao.jpg

rk0tu8.jpg

I've never seen a CF hood on a fox that fit right.

If you want the stock look, there was someone a while back reproducing the saleen SA10 hood, which looks pretty stock, but adds a couple of vents on the sides.