carburated 4.6?

i saw this new intake manifold to carburate your 4.6 it says that just the intake and carb made like 70hp. now on summit the operating rang starts at 3500. would this be a good choice for a street/strip car? either way it sounds badas

• Sponsors (?)

Its probaly the Edelbrock intake manifold. They have one for fuel injection, and one for carb applications.

If they made 70hp it was probaly on a built and cammed 4.6 with a stock tb/intake/plenum starving for air, and it was crank HP... no way it would see that at the wheels on a stock or even mildley modded 4.6.

Fuel injection is very efficient, you can go in and tune basically every parameter of a fuel injected 4.6, you have a very limited range to tune a carb comparativley.

It would be great for someone who wanted to swap a 4.6 into a different vehicle, like a Fox or something.

I have see a few carbed 4.6 Fox's floating around the net, pretty cool looking set up to say the least... but didn't see any power figures.

look at last months hotrod mag. the artical "junk yard 4.6 jewel" with a pi head swap on a 98 crown vic w/ 120k miles that intake w/ holly 650 and lt's it made 378hp and w/ a carb spacer it made 396hp. you cant tell me your gonna make that with the stock setup

look at last months hotrod mag. the artical "junk yard 4.6 jewel" with a pi head swap on a 98 crown vic w/ 120k miles that intake w/ holly 650 and lt's it made 378hp and w/ a carb spacer it made 396hp. you cant tell me your gonna make that with the stock setup

Man there isnt any way they turned out those numbers on a STOCK PI swap only 4.6. They are either fudging the numbers or they are leaving and important detail out

I wouldnt beleive that even if that was at the crank and not the wheels.

Think about it, most 4.6 guys in a Mustang 5 speed (not sucking up as much power as an auto) are putting down around 360-380 with blowers...

No way in hell that you can switch from FI to carb and a new intake manifold and put out as much power as the same motor, FI under boost...:bs:

Plus the operating range starts at 3500RPM... you would really need to wind the engine out to take advantage of a broad power range. Something that wont happen without better cams, and even moreso ported heads to move all that air.

I'm not saying that to attack you at all, but I don't beleive what the magazine is claiming...:nice:

I have the article right here with me. It was done on a PORTED AND CAMMED Pi swap. But thats it. CNC'd heads, didn't specifiy who ported them though. COMP XE274H cams and springs. It used a Barry Grant 575cfm Mighty Demon and BBK full lenght headers. Nothing special. Just made more power then a stock terminator. 396crank HP. Total cost was like 5 grand, heads and all. Alot cheaper sense most of us already have the motor. Carbs can feed a motor with far for air then most of the intakes for these motors allow. They did rev to 6500rpm. I bet it gets there with ease sense it doesn't have the crappy intake and heads holding it back. Made about 350ftlbs of torqe.

I have the article right here with me. It was done on a PORTED AND CAMMED Pi swap. But thats it. CNC'd heads, didn't specifiy who ported them though. COMP XE274H cams and springs. It used a Barry Grant 575cfm Mighty Demon and BBK full lenght headers. Nothing special. Just made more power then a stock terminator. 396crank HP. Total cost was like 5 grand, heads and all. Alot cheaper sense most of us already have the motor. Carbs can feed a motor with far for air then most of the intakes for these motors allow. They did rev to 6500rpm. I bet it gets there with ease sense it doesn't have the crappy intake and heads holding it back. Made about 350ftlbs of torqe.

Cool. Thats exactly what I figured was done...:nice:

Cammed, ported, revved out, and HP was at the crank.

Wonder what that same 4.6 w/FI with a good tune would put down under the same conditions?

There is a guy local to me that has a 99-01 Cobra thats carburated but really don't know a whole lot about it. I know he did a custome job all by himslef and it took him about 2 months to do it.

Next time I see him I'll snap some shots of it and get some more info about it.

I would like to see what a 2v FI with a similar set up would do. Say using a fox lake manifold instead of the eldelbrock setup.

But lets face it, the only way to make power on these motors with their small displacement is rev. 6500rpm isn't really that high. Foxlake claims with their intake and heads and cam kit, you get about 100hp. That puts it with in range of this setup. Though much more expensive. This is the cheapest most powerful N/A 2v that one could proably build.

I would like to see what a 2v FI with a similar set up would do. Say using a fox lake manifold instead of the eldelbrock setup.

But lets face it, the only way to make power on these motors with their small displacement is rev. 6500rpm isn't really that high. Foxlake claims with their intake and heads and cam kit, you get about 100hp. That puts it with in range of this setup. Though much more expensive. This is the cheapest most powerful N/A 2v that one could proably build.
There are other ways to get that extra 100rwhp ;).

There is no way the car is making in the 390 range at the wheels with that,the most i have EVER seen a 2valve n/a car make was 380 rwhp with insane high compression.and reving a stock bottom end to 6500 isnt a good idea in my opinion.carb would be cool for a modular swap into a diff car,but why would you get rid of an efficient fule injected set up for a carb,doesnt make sense to me unless your car is a wiring nightmare or it was going into a diff car.

There is no way the car is making in the 390 range at the wheels with that,the most i have EVER seen a 2valve n/a car make was 380 rwhp with insane high compression.and reving a stock bottom end to 6500 isnt a good idea in my opinion.carb would be cool for a modular swap into a diff car,but why would you get rid of an efficient fule injected set up for a carb,doesnt make sense to me unless your car is a wiring nightmare or it was going into a diff car.
They are referring to FWHP.

a 4 valve and 2 valve you cant compare numbers.also how do you adjust timing and everything,your still gunna need a tune,so u gotta tune this thing double really,the carb and then through the ecm?

i don't beleive mag articles on hp numbers,they are getting the hook up on the parts bc they are SELLING/HELPING SELL the merchandise by making it look good,obviously they would try and say the best things about it and prob fudge the numbers slightly.idk,im just not a believer